Position Title: Before and After School Care Program 1-1 Worker
Pay Grid: $15.00-$19.00-depending on ECE level
Reports To: Before and After School Care Program Site Supervisor
Department: Child Care
YMCA of Medicine Hat strives to integrate our commitment to diversity and social inclusion in all that we do. We believe that strong leadership is created through the sharing of diverse experiences and perspectives. We actively seek candidates who embody these principles and who reflect the many dimensions of the communities we serve. We are a charitable organization that provides health and fitness opportunities, employment services, licensed childcare, and various community programs in Medicine Hat, Redcliff, and Brooks. When you work at the YMCA, you’ll play an important part in building strong, thriving communities while positively impacting people’s lives. Join our team at the Y, a place where everyone belongs — including you!
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day, demonstrating our values in action.
We do the right thing.
We are caring, respectful, honest, and responsible in all that we do.
We put people first.
We believe in each other – honouring our strengths, diversity, perspectives, and passions.
We keep our promises.
We do what we say we will do.
We lead by example.
We are courageous, speaking with conviction and always willing to listen and collaborate.
What qualifications are we looking for?
At the YMCA of Medicine Hat, we strive to ensure our employees are a good fit based on their strengths, interests, and future goals.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- High School Diploma
- Relevant certificate/diploma/degree (eg, Child Development Certificate, Social Work, Child & Youth Care Counselling, Huma Service Worker, etc.)
- Current Standard Child Care First Aid with CPR Level C
- Clear Police Information Check with Vulnerable Sector Search
- Clear Child Intervention Record Check
- 3 Professional References
Knowledge & Skills
- Knowledge of healthy childhood development
- Knowledge of various behavioral strategies
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to work independently while following all policies and procedures
- Ability to actively participate in a variety of physical activities with children/youth
- Skilled communication and observation techniques
- Ability to plan, organize and implement daily programming, in consultation with B&A Staff
- Ability to problem solve quickly and independently
- Ability to work well with others
- Desire and ability to interact and mentor children and youth
What does this role look like at the YMCA of Medicine Hat?
This position is responsible to provide support to children while they attend the Before & After School Care program. This position is also required to be available for all PD days and all Licensed Camps when needed. This service is intended for children that have complex and extraordinary needs that would interfere with their ability to attend such programming without the assistance of an 1-1 worker.
The responsibilities and duties of this role will include but is not limited to:
· Attend all YMCA staff meetings as required
· Attend Parent Engagement Meetings, assist the Site Lead in the planning of the event
· Ensure all programing promotes inclusivity, equality and kindness.
· Consistently recognize the accomplishments of the children
· Model the YMCA Values and mission
· Re-deployment to additional YMCA programs such as; child minding, camp programs, youth and preschool programs, events, etc.
- Working collaboratively with educators, site leads, site directors, parents, schools, and other representatives from the YMCA to ensure that the needs of the children in program are met
SAM/Place to Connect Standards:
· Act as a Place to Connect Champion, ensuring the curriculum is effectively implemented in each assigned site ensuring that daily activities are planned and set up for the children which are based on the children’s interests
· Attend all core trainings on curriculum
- Completing documentation for programming as required by the A Place to Connect Curriculum
- Review and ensure Play in Action standards are met
· Complete set up, take down and daily cleaning tasks and ensure that YMCA SAM standards are maintained
- Participate in annual YMCA Play in Action audit and achieve a minimum score of 85%
- Provide excellent communication and customer service to parents, guardians, and the community
- Ensure that written and verbal communication with parents is ongoing and presenting using a strength-based approach
- Role model appropriate leadership, communication and behaviors to all children and community members
Quality of Work:
- Understand healthy child development, and use this knowledge to plan activities to meet the developmental needs of the children
- Understand physical literacy, and use this knowledge to plan activities to meet the children’s gross motor development
- Engage in play with the children to develop healthy relationships while supporting the development of pro-social skills, gross motor skills, fine motor skills, dramatic play, etc.
- Facilitate and engage children in planned activities during out-of-school times including PD days, school breaks, and summer camps
· Seek out personal professional development opportunities
· Ensure all child/children’s paperwork is up to date in the Avocado System
· Ensure that the out-of-school care program space is set up in a way that supports supervision, while remaining clutter free and safe for the children
Compliance with Legislation and YMCA Policies and Procedures:
· Ensuring that licensing regulations are always maintained in all assigned sites
· Report all critical incidents at assigned sites within immediately to Site Leads
· Keep Before and After School Site Leads apprised of all issues at assigned sites related to licensing
· Review policies at all assigned sites on a monthly, rotating basis (includes all YMCA of Medicine Hat Policies & Procedures, including Child Protection and Health & Safety)
· Ensure Licensing ratio’s are always maintained while on site
· Ensure all health and safety procedures are always followed, this includes preventative cleaning of toys, fire safety procedures, emergency procedures, etc.
· Ensure that you are familiar with each child’s health information including their allergies and medications, as well as the location and how to administer the medication. Required forms must be completed by the parents.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
· Work in loud noisy environment
· May be going from standing to seating positions, from standing to kneeling positions, from kneeling to standing positions, from seating to standing positions for most of the working day, there will be walking throughout the day
· May lift or move items up to 50 lbs including children
· May be exposed to all weather conditions while working outside
· May be exposed to children or adults who may not be vaccinated
· May be exposed to verbal/physical abuse from external and internal clients
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $15.00-$19.00 per hour
- Employee assistance program
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 2023-10-03