Admissions Addiction Counsellor – Full-Time
Our House Addiction Recovery Centre (Our House) is a one-year residential recovery centre for adult men. We help individuals embark on a recovery process, leading to meaningful and productive lives. Our facility houses 60 men in a supportive environment where they work to overcome their challenges in a non-institutional setting. Our House Addiction Recovery Centre (Our House) is a one-year residential recovery centre for adult men. We help individuals embark on a recovery process, leading to meaningful and productive lives. Our facility houses 60 men in a supportive environment where they work to overcome their challenges in a non-institutional setting. As a full-time Addiction Counsellor, you will be part of our clinical team dedicated to providing support to the brave men within our facility. Your primary duties include conducting one on one sessions with clients and facilitating group psychoeducational modules.
All work at Our House will reflect the Mission and Vision statements of the organization. We offer a warm work environment and looking for someone to work onsite 10:00 – 6:00pm with 8 days on and 6 days off schedule. A Clinical On-Call rotation and an understanding that cover-off or assistance outside of these regularly scheduled hours will be required. The position will have a standard probation period of 3 months.
Responsibilities Include (but are not limited to):
· Conduct one on one sessions with clients.
· Act as an advocate for clients.
· Monitor client activities and provide effective intervention in crisis situations.
· Maintain a caseload of approximately ten clients.
· Create and maintain client case notes.
· Perform drug testing as required.
· Prepare and facilitate psychoeducational modules with clients.
· Provide medication dispensing to clients during scheduled medication times, document all incoming medications and update client medical information.
· Conduct room searches.
· Participate in clinical meetings and other employee meetings.
· Maintain daily shift report by documenting information/observations/impressions of client activities that affect other clients and/or the treatment centre.
· Work cooperatively and effectively with other staff, volunteers, and clients.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
· Degree or diploma in addiction, social work, psychology, or related field.
· Minimum of 1-3 years experience in the field.
· Knowledge and experience in the addiction and mental health field.
· Understanding of a non-profit organization.
· Knowledge of the 12-step program and Smart Recovery program.
· Ability to work with a client-centered care and trauma informed philosophy.
· Excellent interpersonal skills.
· Complex trauma training and knowledge.
· Criminal record check approved by the Executive Director.
· First Aid and CPR certifications are required, and training will be supplied if applicable.
· Medication training is required, and training will be supplied if applicable.
· Must be able to demonstrate cultural sensitivity with men of diverse economic and cultural backgrounds.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Is familiar with the issues of addiction and mental health.
- Has experience in trauma-informed and client-centered environments.
- Works collaboratively with other staff and organizations.
- Has strong critical thinking skills.
- Understands and embraces the realities of a non-profit organization.
- Is adaptable, organized, and able to time manage effectively.
- Thrives in working independently.
- Has experience successfully dealing with conflict, strong conversations, and de-escalation situations.
- Has a strong sense of professional boundaries and wellness strategies.
- Is comfortable working in a residential recovery setting with sixty men.
What Our House Offers:
· Annual salary wage of $52,000 - $54,333.
· Vacation time.
· Sick time.
· Wellness days.
· Full health benefits (medical, dental and vision).
· Nutritious, homemade lunch provided daily.
· Open door policy.
· Focus on staff wellness and work-life balance.
· Employee parking.
· Location includes expansive greenspace.
· Position closing date: September 30, 2023
· Pre-Screen phone interview: October 02 or October 03, 2023
· Panel in person interview: October 04 or October 05, 2023
· Job Offer: October 06, 2023
· Position start date: October 23, 2023 (or sooner if available)
· Submit a cover letter outlining why you think you are the best fit for this position.
· Submit a resume.
· Submit minimum 2 professional references
· Please email all documents to [email protected]: Addiction Counsellor Application.
We strive to build a team that reflects the diversity of the community we work in and encourage applications from traditionally underrepresented groups such as women, members of racialized or visible minority communities, Indigenous peoples, people identifying as LGBTQ2S+, and people with disabilities. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us at [email protected]
We thank all those who apply, only those selected to be interviewed will be contacted.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: $52,000.00-$54,333.00 per year
- Company events
- Dental care
- Discounted or free food
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Vision care
- Wellness program
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 2023-09-30
Expected start date: 2023-10-23