Do you want to be part of part of an amazing team who make a difference in the lives of Medicine Hat's vulnerable population? This is your opportunity! The Mustard Seed is looking to hire Housing Focused Shelter Workers for our Medicine Hat Emergency Shelter. Apply today!
As part of a team, Housing Focused Shelter Workers work closely with clients by encouraging them in their journey and connecting them with programs and services so that they can have a positive coordinated exit from the shelter. Housing Focused Shelter Workers are on the frontline and respond to client's needs on an ongoing basis, while maintaining the shelter daily operations. Crisis intervention and conflict resolution are daily occurrences for this role.
We are a certified Best Christian Workplace and humanitarian organization whose vision is to build community, grow hope and support change. The Mustard Seed combats the root causes of poverty in British Columbia and Alberta and work to create positive, lasting change in the lives of those we serve. The Mustard Seed provides basic services – food, clothing and housing, and support services – education and employment, to those living in poverty within British Columbia and Alberta.
Position Type: Part-time and Casual positions available
Reporting to: Shelter Supervisor
Location: Medicine Hat, AB
Schedule: 8-hour shifts, 4 days on / 4 days off. Morning shifts run from 7:30 am to 3:30 pm, evening shifts from 3:30 pm to 11:30 pm, and overnight shifts from 11:30 pm to 7:30 am. Rotations are available for all shifts. Casual positions without a fixed schedule are also currently available.
- Support clients seeking shelter through meeting basic needs and assisting with providing and referring to internal and external resources in a respectful manner
- Respect proper boundaries with clients
- Complete administrative tasks; maintaining client records, writing accurate logs, and sending nightly reports
- Be a pro-active and supportive team-mate to fellow staff members
- Support TMS culture, ministry, and uphold The Mustard Seed's values
- Maintain a safe environment through supervision, zone and bathroom checks, and enforcing shelter expectations with clients
- Availability to take on-call shifts as required
- Be solution-oriented and housing-focused
- Attend required training
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- The ideal candidate must be open to working with members of the vulnerable population experiencing addictions, mental health and trauma.
- A passion to be part of ending homelessness and poverty in Canada
- 1 to 2 years’ experience working in the homeless serving sector is considered an asset
- Knowledge of mental illness and addictions is considered an asset
- Customer service experience
- Strong people and communication skills
- Ability to remain composed under pressure
- This position involves working in a challenging and potentially volatile environment where you may encounter racial slurs, name-calling, and derogatory comments from community members. It requires resilience, conflict resolution skills, and the ability to maintain professionalism and composure in the face of adversity. Training and support will be provided to ensure your safety and well-being.
- Moderate amounts of walking, climbing, standing, sitting, lifting, and carrying may be required.
- You'll often work in a fast-paced setting, requiring mental effort to analyze information and solve problems effectively.
- Varied mental and emotional effort, including responding appropriately to intense situations and providing conflict resolution as necessary.
- This position requires the training in usage of a two-way radio communications, MS Office based computer programming, HMIS database system, FDARP, FOIP, First Aid, NVCI, and Safe Talk.
- An Employment Background Check is required for all positions at The Mustard Seed
- As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to agree to respect and not detract from The Mustard Seed’s Employment Values during their employment at The Mustard Seed.
- Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- The Mustard Seed offers a competitive compensation package for permanent part-time employees, which includes extended health and dental benefits for both staff and their dependents. Casual employees have access to a $200 health spending account.
- All The Mustard Seed employees have access to the Employee and Family Assistance Program, which provides support for maintaining a healthy work-life balance, addressing mental health concerns, and focusing on personal development in various areas.
- Your privacy is important to us. The information we collect is used solely for consideration for employment.
- We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. The Mustard Seed reserves the right to amend job advertisements. No phone calls please.
- Please visit our careers page to see more job opportunities.