Occupational Therapist, Relief
Assertive Community Treatment Team (ACTT)
Thresholds Homes and Supports Inc. is a community-based agency that promotes recovery and improved quality of life for people who are experiencing mental health and addiction issues by providing affordable housing and individualized, flexible support services through our wide-ranging programs offered throughout Waterloo Region and Wellington County. Our staff are committed and passionate about what they do, and take pride in the difference they make in our community. Our values include person-focussed, hope, recovery, self-determination, quality of life, integrity and collaboration. We also take time to recognize each other and have fun!
The Assertive Community Treatment Team (ACTT) is a multi-disciplinary team with members from a variety of disciplines (ie. Nursing, Social Work, Psychiatry). Individuals served by ACTT are those with serious and persistent mental health (SPMI) and/or concurrent concerns.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
ACTT is seeking a part-time Occupational Therapist, who will provide an evidence-informed approach to support individuals to engage in activities of self-care, productivity and leisure, in order to promote overall health and wellbeing. Responsible for conducting comprehensive psychosocial assessments and mental status assessments, this clinician will collaborate with the multidisciplinary team to plan, develop, coordinate, and provide core community based services including: intensivecase management, psychiatric treatment, substance abuse treatment, structuring time and employment, activities of daily living, social and interpersonal relationships and leisure time, and support. Specifically, the Occupational Therapist conducts assessments of clients’ skills in managing activities of daily living/instrumental activities of daily living, and recommend strategies to improve their performance and satisfaction in identified areas.
HOURS OF WORK:
· This position has a set schedule on a four week rotation
· Must provide availability to work a minimum of 4 shifts a month
· Additional shifts available for pick up
· Available to work a minimum of 5 public holidays per year and 1 of those shifts must be either Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year’s Eve or New Year’s Day
· Available to work days, afternoons and evenings
SALARY RANGE: $30.81 - $37.47 per hour
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assess/identify occupational performance issues; provide remediatory and/or compensatory strategies to facilitate engagement, performance and satisfaction in identified areas; experience using BrainFx is an asset
- Educate clients on topics such as: sleep hygiene, life balance, energy management, fall prevention
- Demonstrated ability to develop teaching material and teach clients, families and caregivers.
- Complete basic home safety assessments as needed; provide recommendations to reduce risk in home
- Collaborate with clients’ existing support network, and/or, initiate connections with informal/formal supports in community to develop sense of belonging and community participation
- Provide case management services (ie. support with appointments, acquiring/maintaining housing, etc.)
- Identify risk factors and respond accordingly; develop crisis plans with clients, respond to crisis situations as necessary (ie. de-escalation); Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training is an asset
- Travel within the catchment area
- Master’s degree in Occupational Therapy
- Current registration with the College of Occupational Therapists of Ontario, and in good standing
- Minimum of One (1) year of recent work experience with clients with SPMI (includes supervised placements)
- Current certification in CPR; Non-Violent Crisis intervention preferred
- Knowledge of major mental illness from a bio-psychosocial perspective
- Knowledge of psychotropic medications and symptom management
- Knowledge of health and social services resources in Waterloo Region preferred
- Knowledge of the Mental Health Act and other relevant legislation
- Open-minded, compassionate, collaborative, ability to be assertive when needed
- Ability to communicate with diverse range of individuals, who come from a variety of educational, cultural, religious and socio-economic backgrounds
- Commitment to the right and ability of each person with SPMI to live in the community and engage in meaningful activities
- Respect for consumer rights and personal preferences in treatment
- Skills and competence to develop rapport with persons with SPMI, and their families
- Must have a valid Ontario driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle.
- A current and successful Police Vulnerable Sector Screening is required.
VACCINATION REQUIREMENT STATEMENT
All new employees, effective November 1, 2021, will be required to be double vaccinated and to provide proof of being fully vaccinated or have an approved accommodation. You can provide proof of vaccination or apply for an accommodation in accordance with our Vaccination Policy 2.0, effective November 1, 2021.
If you are interested in this position, please send your cover letter and resume noting in the subject line “Relief Occupational Therapist” to: [email protected]
Thresholds Homes and Supports Inc. is committed to accessibility for persons with disabilities. If you have any application, interview, or workplace accommodation requests, please contact Human Resources at [email protected]
Job Type: Casual
Salary: $30.81-$37.47 per hour
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Kitchener, ON: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
Work Location: In person