The Royal Alberta Museum (RAM) is the largest museum in western Canada and one of the top museums in Canada. Located in the Arts District in downtown Edmonton, we collect, preserve, research, interpret, and exhibit objects and specimens related to the heritage of Alberta's people and natural environment.
Job Requisition ID: 48651
Ministry: Arts, Culture and Status of Women
Location: Royal Alberta Museum, Edmonton
Full or Part-Time: Full-time temporary
Hours of Work: 36.25 hours per week
Scope: Open Competition
Closing Date: Open until suitable candidate(s) selected
Classifcation: Subsidiary 01B 3625 Administrative Support 2
Salary: $20.05 to $24.22 per hour
The Royal Alberta Museum is seeking an enthusiastic team player with experience with a museum or science centre to help ensure our galleries are tidy, operating properly, and ready for visitors.
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
Gallery set-up and operations
Drawing on experience with maintaining public displays, the incumbent will implement procedures to prepare the galleries for opening. This will predominantly include setting up interactives and programing materials, and cleaning and sanitizing high-touch surfaces and programing materials. This will be done as per operating procedures.
Drawing on experience maintaining a neat and inviting gallery, science centre or display space, the incumbent will monitor all of the museum galleries and identify issues with interactives and other exhibit elements. The incumbent will resolve any well-defined minor/recurring issues themselves (as per operating procedures) and will provide a detailed report regarding complex/undefined deficiencies to a senior team member for resolution.
Treat visitors and colleagues in a friendly and positive manner in providing courteous, professional and solutions-focused services.
Support delivery of self-directed programming.
The incumbent will set up self-directed programing activities in galleries, and tidy these spaces throughout the day and replenish supplies as required. The incumbent will also monitor an inventory of resources / consumables for interactives, programs and activities, and may be tasked with ordering more as required. Incumbent may also be required to deliver simple, pre-defined programs to visitors as required.
High school diploma.
- Ability to multi-task and operate in a changing environment, demonstrate good problem solving skills, and the ability to perform with minimal supervision.
- Excellent communication skills and critical thinking skills demonstrated by an ability to process and retain information (both verbally and in writing) and follow detailed instructions.
- Ability to work with the public, maintaining a positive, patient, welcoming, cooperative, and engaging manner are essential.
- Post secondary education in a field related to museum operations (e.g. a two year diploma in Art, Business, Early Childhood Education, Museum Studies, Theatre Studies, etc.)..
- Experience in program delivery, ideally at a museum or science centre.
Competencies are behaviors that are essential to reach our goals in serving Albertans. We encourage you to have an in depth understanding of the competencies that are required for this opportunity and to be prepared to demonstrate them during the recruitment process.
This link will assist you with understanding competencies:
- Agility: Understands need for change and manages own emotions.
- Build Collaborative Environments: Facilitates open communication and leverages team skill.
- Develop Networks: Maintains collegial internal relationships and understands external network.
- Creative Problem Solving: Is open to new ideas and breaks problems down to identify solutions
- The position’s hours of work must overlap with the Royal Alberta Museum’s hours of operation, which currently includes weekends and statutory holidays. Should the museum’s hours of operation change, this position’s schedule would change accordingly. We currently anticipate the position hours of work being Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday from from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm; and Thursday from 9:30 am to 5:30 pm
- Candidate must be eligible to work in Canada. A current work visa is required.
- Prescreening questions will need to be complete as part of your application process for this competition. As part of the selection process candidates may be invite to a telephone and/or written assessment prior to an interview. Please ensure you provide a current email address in your resume.
In order to accurately reflect your related experience/education, in your resume, please include dates (including months and years) associated with all education and work experience.
For employment: Please indicate whether your work experience is casual, part-time or full-time. Example: Receptionist, Jan 2018 - June 2021, Part-time (three 8 hr shifts/week).
For any Post-Secondary Education: Please specify your major and length of program, the educational institution, and the year you graduated.
Bachelor of Arts, major in Psychology, University of Alberta, 2009
Social Work Diploma (1 year), Campbell College, 2017
What the GoA has to offer to prospective e employees.
- Working for the Alberta Public Service –
- Professional learning and development
- Positive workplace culture and work-life balance
If you are not currently an employee with the Government of Alberta, the first step in applying for a job is creating your candidate profile within our online application system,
Existing employees should access the Career tile in 1GX to submit their application in order to be recognized as an internal applicant.
Once you have created your candidate profile, visit the Alberta Public Service job site to apply for jobs at
Applicants are advised to provide information that clearly and concisely demonstrates how their qualifications meet the advertised requirements, including education, experience and relevant examples of required competencies.
Resources for applicants:
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies, across the Government of Alberta, at the same or lower classification level.
thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates' qualifications most closely match the advertised requirements. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
If you require any further information on this job posting or a copy of the role profile, please contact Saren Frias at [email protected].