What we offer
In addition to a competitive salary and a rewarding career where you can truly make a difference, we offer a comprehensive package that meets the various needs of our diverse employees, including:
- Ability to participate in inclusive employee-led networks to educate, inspire, amplify voices, build relationships and provide development opportunities;
- Minimum three (3) weeks of paid annual vacation days, increasing with years of service;
- Four (4) paid personal days;
- Defined benefit pension plan with OMERS, includes 100-per-cent employer matching;
- Health and dental benefits, including a health spending account available upon your start date;
- Employee and family assistance program;
- Maternity and parental leave top up (93% of base salary);
- Training and development programs including tuition reimbursement of $1500 per calendar year.
- Fitness membership discount;
Make a Difference
We are currently searching for a dedicated and passionate individual to join our Design and Engineering Department! As a Design Program Manager, you’ll utilize your expertise and knowledge of Architecture and Design to contribute to the ongoing efforts of Toronto Community Housing to improve the neighborhoods and lives of residents of Toronto.
The Design Program Manager oversees design and engineering services for major and minor construction projects for retrofit, renewal and rehabilitation projects ranging in size, scale and complexity. You will manage an engineering and administrative team involved in wide ranging design and engineering construction work in buildings and building systems ranging individually from $10K over $10M.
TCHC is currently poised to become leaders in energy retrofit and accessibility projects. We are seeking innovative and creative thinkers to help find design solutions that preserve and renew our portfolio assets, raise the quality of design, and greatly enhance occupant comfort and improve the quality of our tenant’s lives.
What you’ll do
- Works as part of a project team to deliver design solutions.
- Manage Architectural initiatives and programs.
- Provides architectural (or engineering) project supervision and project management functions, including consulting services and professional expertise on construction projects.
- Manages construction teams including Consultants, Construction Managers, suppliers and trade contractors in scope definition, design, estimating, scheduling, construction, close-out and warranty administration of renewal, retrofit and rehabilitation projects.
- Oversees the progress of construction projects, cost control, drawing review, coordination, facilitation and document of project development from contract award through to construction completion.
- Prepares documents for tendering and evaluates proposal responses, arranges for procurement and manages performance.
- Coordinates with other disciplines, internal and external.
- Monitors project schedules and provides solutions to avoid construction delays.
- Conducts construction inspections and site reviews to ensure work is performed in accordance with original engineering specifications.
- Controls and maintains project expenditures within approved budget limitations.
- Develops conceptual and detailed designs, project scopes, cost estimates, schedules and implementation plans for proposed construction projects.
- Provides design-build, construction management, architectural (or engineering) and associated planning, pricing and procurement services, etc.
- Obtains permits and approvals from governing authorities that have jurisdiction over the work.
- Conducts building condition audits in the specific discipline. Prepares specifications and tendering documents.
- Undertakes architectural (or engineering) and viability studies including conceptual design, cost estimates and final reports.
- Provides technical advice and expertise in utilizing standard engineering (or architectural) principles and practices to assist in project and program development.
- Performs investigations, design and contract administration of remedial work in the specific discipline, and prepares investigation reports incorporating engineering specifications.
- Prepares engineering analysis for new systems, technologies and procedures with the potential to improve performance of the construction team.
- Performs assessments on building or equipment conditions.
- Reviews shop drawings and submissions for compliance with requirements and in line with TCHC building standards.
- Arranges for and reviews drawing production within the construction team.
- Develops, reviews and implements plans and policies for program specific requirements.
- Develops an in-house database on materials and equipment for application in construction projects.
- Establishes and maintains key supplier contacts for equipment and specialty subcontractors, including vendor performance reports.
What you’ll need
- Registered Professional Architect in the Province of Ontario is an asset, or College diploma in building science or architectural technology. University degree in engineering or architecture preferred.
- PMP designation is an asset.
- Minimum of 7 years experience in the specific architectural discipline (or engineering) with project management experience in design and construction disciplines.
- Ontario-based knowledge and experience in a Consulting environment.
- Experience in establishing and monitoring construction and financial controls to achieve on time and on budget project completion.
- Understanding of the relevant legislation, by-laws and codes affecting residential development and construction.
- Strong knowledge of the Ontario Building Code, Occupational Health and Safety Act, Construction Lien Act for the construction industry.
- Analytical skills in developing, evaluating design and constructability issues and recommending value engineering.
- Proficient in preparing, reading, interpreting construction designs and documents, preparing and assembling design estimates and working budgets, cash flows and pricing.
- Ability to deliver a wide variety of project scopes and manage construction schedules, cash flow and to ensure timely completion of construction work.
- Knowledge of sustainable building design and implementation.
- Valid G driver licence and access to a vehicle.
Once you apply, we’ll review your resume and contact you if we believe your skills and experience will make you successful in the role. If you are selected to move forward, the process will include one or more interviews and/or assessments and reference checks.