SUPREME STEEL has been transforming landscapes across western Canada and the United States since 1972, tackling the biggest challenges with heart, smarts and cutting edge technology. Supreme is a family company that has grown to be one of North America’s most trusted steel solution providers. We’ve done it by delivering great service and outstanding solutions—made right, on time. Because at the core of our business is genuine care for our partners, our people, and our work.
Supreme Steel LP is currently seeking a self-motivated, quality focused and highly efficient individual to join our Engineering team in the position of Structural and Welding Engineer at our office in Acheson, AB. This individual is responsible for providing steel connection design services and welding procedures and processes for code compliant welding applications on a variety of projects. This position demands an individual who possesses a strong understanding of mechanical and structural components and good team working skills.
- Provide technical knowledge in structural steel building and connection design.
- Work daily with steel fabrication Managers and Project Mangers to provide timely and efficient connection design solutions on a wide variety of steel connection projects.
- Provide technical support for corrections of shop or field non-conformities.
- Communicate and implement engineered welding processes on each project to ensure code and quality compliance.
- Ensure work is performed in accordance with technical project requirements, specifications and governing codes and standards.
- Meet with stakeholders, assisting production in interpreting technical project requirements.
- Analyze engineering designs (drawings), reviewing specifications for welding requirements.
- Review and manage welding procedures, processes, and documentation, generating new welding procedures as required.
- Conduct failure analyses and cause analyses on welding issues.
- Work directly with production personnel and production management to plan workflow, welding activities and assisting in overall production improvements and automation.
- Manage Welding Procedure Data Sheets (WPDS) and Welding Procedure Specifications (WPS), creating new welding procedures or updating as required.
- PQRs, set up requirements, organize with the shops and CWB/testing agencies, revisions of WPDS based on PQR.
- Manage and create critical repair procedures.
- Assist Estimating with specification reviews, general technical support, analyze technical risk and offer solutions.
Qualifications & Skills Required:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Structural and/or Welding Engineering
- P.Eng. designation and eligibility for registration in western Canada
- Minimum 2 Years of experience as a Welding Engineer, working in the structural steel industry
- Demonstrate knowledge of steel, project and design constraints, and design to best fit the purpose or service intended and address interdisciplinary impacts.
- Strong understanding of the concept of quality control during design and construction including independent design check and independent reviews of design, field checks and reviews.
- Demonstrated knowledge of regulations, codes, standards and safety. This includes local engineering procedures and practices as applicable.
- Detailed knowledge with Canadian and US Codes, such as CSA S16, S6, W59, W47.1, AISC, AWS D1.1 & AWS D1.5.
- Proficient in all Microsoft Office software.
- Knowledge of AutoCad and/or Tekla.
- Driven to introduce continuous improvements, allowing higher goals to be set.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to present information, analysis, ideas, and positions verbally and in writing in a clear and convincing manner.
- Ability to travel and work with staff located remotely.
Supreme Group LP offers a competitive salary, a comprehensive benefit package and RRSP program, as well as a great learning environment and the opportunity for career advancement.
Supreme Group LP offers a competitive salary, a comprehensive benefit package and RRSP program, as well as a great learning environment and the opportunity for career advancement. Employees in this position are eligible for our hybrid work program with flexible in office and remote work from home after completing their onboarding process and have been employed for six months.
Please forward your cover letter and resume, in confidence, to Human Resources quoting competition #230921SSA.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those candidates identified for further consideration will be contacted.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- RRSP match
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision care
- Work from home
Supplemental pay types:
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 2023-10-08