We are a leading financial services provider committed to making decisions easier and lives better for our customers and colleagues around the world. From our environmental initiatives to our community investments, we lead with values throughout our business. To help us stand out, we help you step up, because when colleagues are healthy, respected and meaningfully challenged, we all thrive. Discover how you can grow your career, make impact and drive real change with our Winning Team today.
Leading insurance technology squads to deliver with excellence on user experience, security, and reliability. Translating technical and business requirements into product and software development roadmaps and achievements. Driving Incremental delivery to meet and exceed customer, partner and collaborators needs. Technical and team leadership, task prioritization, problem solving, and remove blockers.
This job description does not represent a comprehensive listing of job duties that are required of the employee performing this role. We reserve the right to change duties or assign additional duties at any time with or without notice
- Lead cross-squad programs across sophisticated technical, regulatory, or other cross-cutting needs
- Ensures progress against important landmarks where consistent and coordinated implementation is required
- Develops patterns and documentation to ensure ongoing maintenance of technical and regulatory solutions
- Define and manage scope for sophisticated, cross-team projects with high impact
- Lead coordination efforts with some leadership support of Product partners, Architects and Engineers to meet regulatory and technical requirements
- Consistently deliver strong impact on the success of a team
- Develop plan and manage efficiently and effectively implementations across Workstreams
- Work closely with business leadership to understand strategy and objectives, ensuring the program is delivering aligned solutions
- Manage in a constantly changing environment, ensuring clear communication across all impacted parties
- Provide program level communications to senior tech and business leaders to ensure status is understood, and issues/risks are getting the proper attention
- Effectively manage Issues and Risks
- Lead and develop a strong team of engineers to both meet the program objectives, and to grow them in their professional careers
- Develop the skills and growth of team members through mentorship, training, and providing opportunities within the program
- Work to ensure the team is engaged, and address performance issues in a diligent and appropriate manner
- Work with Architecture, Tech Leads and Business SMEs to ensure the solution being developed is fit-for-purpose
- 2 -7+ years of progressive management experience within Technology, Financial Services/Insurance
- Strategic planning and product and program roadmap development expertise
- Previous experience leading software development teams
- Experience in leading and motivating teams and ability to foster teamwork and collaboration
- Coaching and leading through change
- Experienced mentor, and drive to build people’s careers
- Extensive knowledge in Agile and Software Development Methodologies
- Experience in full software development lifecycle
- Awareness of full-technology stack – NodeJS, React, C#, Azure, .Net, Mongo/Cosmo, Rest API Mainframe, Window/SQL, Java, Apache Tomcat, Salesforce, GitHub, Jenkins, JIRA, Power BI, AEM
- Good knowledge of business management, capacity management and financial planning
- Deep knowledge of project and program management principles & techniques
- A passion for delivery – understanding processes, managing through roadblocks, and a focus on continuously improving how work is done to improve velocity
- Demonstrates understanding of how technology supports Manulife's strategy
- Strong detail orientation
- Sees overall 'picture' and alternative approaches; vision of what may be possible
- Constantly learns from both success and failure
- Good organizational and problem-solving abilities that enable you to manage through creative abrasion
- Good verbal and written communication; able to effectively articulate technical vision, possibilities, and outcomes Decision Authorities:
- Strong presentation and excellent interpersonal skills
What can we offer you?
- A competitive salary and benefits packages
- A growth trajectory that extends upward and outward, encouraging you to follow your passions and learn new skills
- A focus on growing your career path with us
- Flexible work policies and strong work-life balance
- Professional development and leadership opportunities
Our commitment to you
- Values-first culture: We lead with our Values every day and bring them to life together
- Boundless opportunity: We create opportunities to learn and grow at every stage of your career
- Continuous innovation: We invite you to help redefine the future of financial services
- Delivering the promise of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion: We foster an inclusive workplace where everyone thrives
- Championing Corporate Citizenship: We build a business that benefits all partners and has a positive social and environmental impact
About Manulife and John Hancock
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we operate as Manulife across our offices in Asia, Canada, and Europe, and primarily as John Hancock in the United States. We provide financial advice, insurance, and wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2022, we had more than 40,000 employees, over 116,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving over 34 million customers. At the end of 2022, we had $1.3 trillion (US$1.0 trillion) in assets under management and administration, including total invested assets of $0.4 trillion (US $0.3 trillion), and segregated funds net assets of $0.3 trillion (US$0.3 trillion). We trade as ‘MFC’ on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges, and under ‘945’ in Hong Kong.
Manulife is an Equal Opportunity Employer
At Manulife /John Hancock , we embrace our diversity. We strive to attract, develop and retain a workforce that is as diverse as the customers we serve and to foster an inclusive work environment that embraces the strength of cultures and individuals. We are committed to fair recruitment, retention, advancement and compensation, and we administer all of our practices and programs without discrimination on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour , ethnic origin, citizenship, religion or religious beliefs, creed, sex (including pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions), sexual orientation, genetic characteristics, veteran status, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, family status, disability, or any other ground protected by applicable law.
It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will work with applicants who request a reasonable accommodation during the application process . All information shared during the accommodation request process will be stored and used in a manner that is consistent with applicable laws and Manulife/John Hancock policies . To request a reasonable accommodation in the application process, contact [email protected] .
The annual base salary for this role is listed below.
CAN, Ontario, Waterloo, 500 King Street North
Salary range is expected to be between
$89,950.00 CAD - $167,050.00 CAD
If you are applying for this role outside of the primary location, please contact [email protected] for the salary range for your location. The actual salary will vary depending on local market conditions, geography and relevant job-related factors such as knowledge, skills, qualifications, experience, and education/training. Employees also have the opportunity to participate in incentive programs and earn incentive compensation tied to business and individual performance.
Manulife offers eligible employees a wide array of customizable benefits, including health, dental, mental health, vision, short- and long-term disability, life and AD&D insurance coverage, adoption/surrogacy and wellness benefits, and employee/family assistance plans. We also offer eligible employees various retirement savings plans (including pension and a global share ownership plan with employer matching contributions) and financial education and counseling resources. Our generous paid time off program in Canada includes holidays, vacation, personal, and sick days, and we offer the full range of statutory leaves of absence. If you are applying for this role in the U.S., please contact [email protected] for more information about U.S.-specific paid time off provisions.