UFCW 1518 is hiring a Director of Bargaining and Negotiations to join our team.
Join us in the fight for fairness.
About UFCW 1518
At UFCW 1518, we believe that we are stronger together. Everyone deserves safe and respectful working conditions and a healthy community. By continuing to win fights for fairness, organize workers in diverse industries, and support causes that benefit communities, we work together to improve quality of life for all British Columbians.
We are a democratic, member-driven union that is built on a foundation of integrity and respect. We are committed to working hard for our members, fighting for higher wages, better benefits, job security and fair treatment. We also use our voice to speak up on issues that impact our communities, such as implementing a living wage and standing against discrimination.
A Day in the Life
As Director of Bargaining and Services, you will work closely with the Managing Director and will be responsible for guiding your team throughout the collective bargaining process to ensure its timely delivery and completion and management of grievance files. Here’s what you can expect to dig into in this exciting, hands-on role:
- Interpret collective agreements with high levels of care and precision
- Guide your team through the collective bargaining cycle, stepping in to provide support where you see fit
- Manage labour relations and engagement with a variety of employers with professionalism and confidence
- Attend arbitrations and fact-finding investigations to ensure all information pertaining to grievance files are collected and documented accurately
- Represent and engage with a variety of members, ensuring the employer’s standards and policies are upheld
- Oversee and support a team of employees, ensuring they are set up for success and thrive in a positive work culture that you help foster
What You Bring to the Table
- Negotiation experience working with unions
- Strong familiarity with Labour Relations and Labour Codes
- Experience in managing people – from union representatives to senior staff on your direct team
- Clear understanding of labour relations and the different structures and processes that are used throughout the labour board
- Thorough understanding of the grievance process
- Ability to think outside of the box to find innovative and effective solutions when negotiating contracts
- Ability to build a strong, positive work culture with your team
- Ability to think strategically and develop actionable plans to achieve goals
- Confident with multi-directional management
- 3+ years of negotiation experience or similar role and 2+ years of supervisory experience
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent with advanced studies in collective bargaining negotiations, labour law, labour/industrial relations, arbitrations, employment law, and/or human resources
- Demonstrated senior-level negotiations experience as a lead negotiator
- Demonstrated experience navigating labour board hearings and arbitrations and/or tribunals.
- Thorough understanding and knowledge of the BC and Canadian Labour Relations Code, regulations, and other labour legislation
- Proficiency in computer literacy and navigating Microsoft Office software, CRMs, and record management
- Experience in managing people
- Fluency in a second language is an asset
Why UFCW 1518?
UFCW 1518values our team’s meaningful contributions and unmatched expertise that are integral to achieving our ambitious goals. As a joining member of ourteam, you can expect:
- Competitive compensation package
- Extended health benefits and dental plan to value the well-being of you and your family
- Car allowance, insurance, and gas card plus salary compensation for any work-related travel costs
- Eligibility for our Pension Plan to set you up for happiness and success down the road
- Generous paid time off, starting with 15 vacation days, accrued personal time off, and statutory holidays to prioritize work-life balance
- Enjoy the flexibility of a hybrid role and feel the invigorating energy of collaborating with colleagues in the office with the chance to work remotely
If this sounds like what you’re looking for in your next opportunity, we want to hear from you! Apply with your resume and cover letter today.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Extended health care
- Flexible schedule
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Bachelor's Degree (required)
- Bargaining and Negotiation: 3 years (required)
Work Location: Hybrid remote in New Westminster, BC