Atura Power is the largest fleet of combined cycle power plants in Ontario. Our facilities are located across the province including Napanee, Halton Hills, Toronto and Windsor. This position is based out of the Atura Power Oakville office and will require regular travel to each of our operating plants.
Guided by our values, we are inclusive, we work safely, we are flexible, we look for ways to do things better, we always act with integrity. Join the team that powers the province!
Reporting to the Director of Asset Management, the successful candidate will lead a team of engineers who provide innovative engineering solutions to operations and maintenance issues, lead design, support planning, and execution of capital projects, and optimize maintenance practices to ensure lowest total life cycle costs for Atura’s fleet of combined cycle power plants.
The Engineering Manager - Mechanical is required to possess strong decision-making abilities, strong technical knowledge, a depth of demonstrated field experience, and effective troubleshooting and problem-solving skills. This position is part of the Atura management team committed to the overall development and growth of Atura Power.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide strong leadership that fosters a culture of innovation and continuous business improvement as measured by the following key performance indicators: Optimization of existing assets, achievement of desired equipment reliability, and budget adherence.
- Provide engineering expertise and leadership to develop effective engineered solutions to technical issues. Ensure that each engineer provides sound engineering solutions for their assigned systems.
- Lead the efforts to achieve the goals and objectives set for the department.
- Manage the delivery of engineering services to multiple internal stakeholders, including power generation Operations, Outages and Projects and other business units.
- Manage a multi-disciplinary team of internal engineering professionals, students and contract employees. Assign work, establish priorities, enforce standards for compliance with company standards for the practice of engineering.
- Retain ownership of engineering work request (EWR) and management of change (MOC) work processes using IBM Maximo.
- Act as the mechanical and process discipline engineer-in-charge for the company’s power generation assets.
- Authenticate (seal/stamp) own work and work done by others under your supervision
- Collaborate with Supply Chain Management to ensure selection of qualified suppliers, contractors and various service providers that provide maximum value.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant federal, provincial, and local regulations as well as company and industry governing standards, policies, and guidelines.
- Continue to develop leadership competencies while maintaining a current knowledge of company business, strategy, goals, and objectives.
- Represent the Engineering function and foster critical partnerships both internally and externally.
- Responsible for staff mentoring, development and succession planning for the team.
- Conflict resolution, as required to maintain an effective work environment.
- Develop, monitor, and manage the department's annual operating budget.
- Recruiting and onboarding.
- May require providing weekend/after-hours on-site support to operating assets for outages or other work.
- Must have unrestricted ability to travel within North America. Must be able to travel within Ontario up to approximately 30 days at a time.
- Support company objectives related to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion.
- Other related duties as required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Candidate will be asked to submit a technical writing sample.
- Proficient in reading and understanding engineering drawings including P&IDs, piping isometrics, general arrangements, mechanical system drawings, electrical one and three lines, schematics, network diagrams, etc.
- Must possess a high level of attention to detail.
- Innovative, self-motivated, professional, and able to work and contribute in a fast-paced, multi-discipline team environment.
- Must have strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Must have good judgment and decision-making abilities.
- Ability to embrace and lead change.
- Demonstrated familiarity with project management principles and practices.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of PC-based computer systems and software applications with an emphasis on Microsoft Excel, Word, Powerpoint.
- University degree in Mechanical Engineering from a program accredited by the Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board or international equivalent as recognized by the Washington Accord. Program of study shall be in the mechanical discipline, or closely related.
- P. Eng. license with Professional Engineers of Ontario or an equivalent governing body in Canada is required.
- Minimum ten (10) years of progressive relevant field experience in power generation (e.g. new installations, commissioning, operations, and/or maintenance)
- Experience working in a plant environment and with a variety of stakeholders including maintenance and operations personnel.
- Knowledge and experience with large gas and steam turbines in power generation applications
- Proficient in reading and understanding mechanical discipline drawings including P&IDs, piping isometrics, general arrangements, mechanical system drawings.
- Familiarity with Ontario Technical Standards and Safety Act and Regulations; CSA B51; ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code Sections I, III, IV and VIII; ASME B31.1/B31.3; ASME PCC-1 and -2; National Board Inspection Code, NFPA 70 and 72, CSA Z462, CSA C22.1, ASHRAE and Cooling Tower Institute codes and standards are considered assets.
- Familiarity with NERC Standards and compliance programs.
- Experience with power plant equipment suppliers/OEM’s is considered an asset.
- EPC, thermal power generating station operations, reliability engineering, maintenance engineering experience are considered assets.
- Direct experience (in working environment) with IBM Maximo, AutoCAD and other modelling/simulation packages (FEA/CFD, pipe stress analysis, etc.) are considered assets.
- This position requires candidates to:
- Have and maintain a valid driver's license
- Successfully complete a criminal record check
Atura Power strives to embody the values of respect, collaboration, and diversity, and has a strong commitment to employment equity. The diversity of our workforce is at the core of our innovation and creativity. Atura Power seeks qualified candidates who share our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion. While all qualified candidates are invited to apply, we particularly welcome applications from women, persons with disabilities, First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples, members of visible minorities, and LGBTQ2+ persons.
Atura Power offers competitive wages, benefits, and compliance with the current collective agreement. Our employees are company, community and environmentally focused. We thank all applicants in advance, only applicants selected for the interview process will be contacted.