Southlake is building healthy communities through outstanding care, innovative partnerships, and amazing people. We deliver a wide range of healthcare services to the communities of northern York Region and southern Simcoe County. Our advanced regional programs include Cancer Care and Cardiac Care and serve a broader population across the northern GTA and into Simcoe-Muskoka.
Our team of nearly 6,000 staff, physicians, volunteers, students and Patient and Family Advisors are committed to creating an environment where the best experiences happen. As a recognition of our commitment to quality and patient safety, we have received the highest distinction of Exemplary Standing from Accreditation Canada.
Southlake is seeking a dynamic leader to join our Facilities Operations team to help shape the Biomedical Engineering Department and the services it provides. Reporting to the Director of Facility Operations the Manager, Biomedical Engineering will be responsible for the oversight of all day to day operations relating Biomedical Engineering and the management of specific Southlake equipment.
The Manager, Biomedical Engineering will provide leadership in developing and implementing a Capital Asset and Lifecycle Management Strategy, focused on ensuring the right piece of equipment is in the optimal condition to support the delivery of exceptional patient care. The Biomed Manager will further develop and leverage systems (Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS), to drive optimized distribution and real-time line of sight in support of evidence based decision making and cost effective service delivery. The Biomed Manager will manage the day to day operations of the Biomedical Team, as well as our maintenance and lifecycle management systems to ensure equipment inventories and service quality are in alignment with our organization goals.
Skills & Abilities
- Advanced experience with Asset management systems including Capital Asset inventories and CMMS
- Functional knowledge of Biomedical equipment and systems.
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Experience with Microsoft Project and AutoCAD an asset
- Advanced computer skills and understanding of data basing
- Moderate Work activities require intermediate periods of moderate physical effort
- Analyze trends and make recommendations for resources/investment
- Assess systems and lead process revisions
- Managing staff in unionize environment
- Demonstrated excellence in communication, both written and verbal
- Demonstrated problem assessment skills
- Demonstrated commitment to customer service and teamwork
- Demonstrated individual leadership skills
- Commitment to providing an exceptional experience for patients and families as well as other members of the healthcare team within a challenging and exciting health care environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to, and understanding of the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion
Models behaviour that is aligned with the values of Southlake Regional Health Centre.
- Always with compassion
- Power of many
- Serve with purpose
- Every voice matters
- Undergraduate Degree preferred or equivalent experience in Biomedical and Facilities Management
- 5 Years Biomedical Engineering management experience in a Hospital Environment
- 5 Years Relevant leadership experience in Asset Management preferred
- Experience in developing Asset Management systems preferred
As a condition of employment, you are required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination to the Hospital’s Occupational Health and Safety department. Successful candidates will be required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination (two doses) from the Ontario Ministry of Health website or other authorized source directly to the Occupational Health and Safety department. In the event that you are unable to be vaccinated as a result of a ground protected under the Human Rights Code, you may submit a written explanation of the ground and any supporting documentation to determine if you are exempt from this requirement to the recruitment team. A recruitment representative may follow up with you for further information if necessary.
At Southlake, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live and serve, including those with disabilities. Southlake is committed to providing accommodations in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
It is the responsibility of all Southlake employees to work in a safe manner and promote health and safety in the workplace.
Strategic Program Management
- Evaluation of current Biomedical Systems, highlighting replacement requirements in alignment with Corporate and General Capital processes
- Ensure that records are up to date regarding all Maintenance activities and recorded as required by law
- Facilitates continuous quality improvement initiatives
- Enhance overall functionality and utilization of CMMS Database including intuitive customer/user interface
- Support the implementation of a capital asset and lifecycle management strategy
- Facilitates changes within the department to enhance delivery of service
- Lead corporate equipment initiatives and lifecycle management of specific equipment
- Establish and implement industry standards to achieve business goals
- Active leadership and participation on relevant hospital committees, working groups, and industry forums in the healthcare environment
Human Resource Management
- Recruit, hire, evaluate, inspire, discipline, and terminate staff
- Ensures that new staff is oriented to the department and organization
- Establishes performance expectations, both individual and team in alignment with portfolio
- Responsible for ensuring that staff scheduling, work assignments, payroll and overall attendance management is effectively completed (in accordance with SRHC policy and SEIU Collective Agreement)
- Promotes and facilitates continuing educational opportunities for staff
- Ensures a safe and effective working environment for staff
- Establishes and maintains effective professional relationships within this department, with other departments and with Medical Staff
Project Management, Committee Membership, Policies and Procedures
- Collaborate within portfolio and with partners to support implementation of equipment initiatives
- Ensure corporate standards, policies and procurement guidelines are adhered to with all projects
- Coordinate education and training of new equipment with multiple departments
- Maintain and update all policies and procedures in a centralized database
- Active participation in Clinical Capital and Corporate Capital Committees
- Project Prioritization Committee
- Develop and monitor departmental budget (monthly, annually)
- Identify cost saving initiatives through internal development, contract services etc.
- Identify capital expenditures on a multi-year review
- Participation in the annual hospital budget preparation
Contracts and services
- Monitor Preventative maintenance programs for contracted services
- Monitor Contract requirements, ensuring work is executed in alignment with contract requirements
- Monitor equipment inventory trends
- Monitor-value for-money for contracted services