Active Support Against Poverty Housing Society
Shelter Worker Job Description
Active Support Against Poverty is a non-profit organization committed to social justice. We believe that everyone has a right to dignity and respect. We strive to ensure our values are reflected in the way we treat our clients, our constituencies and each other. All members of our staff are responsible for projecting our values in our everyday work.
Summary of Duties
The Active Support Against Poverty Housing Society (ASAPHS) homeless/at risk project provides 28 units of permanent housing and 45 emergency shelter beds to marginalized people. The Shelter Workers monitor these special needs clients ensuring the safety, cleanliness and security of the clients and the living environment. Shelter Workers will be required to complete a variety of essential paperwork regarding tenants and shelter guests and the physical plant. The clientele of the ASAPHS have varied needs and abilities and can be behaviourally challenging. Shelter Workers perform their duties in compliance with the Society’s goals, objectives and policies. Duties are performed in an efficient and professional manner.
● To sensitively and respectfully provide monitoring of tenants and shelter guests. To ensure shelter guests rights to privacy, dignity and confidentiality are maintained except in the proper operation of business.
● To monitor people on the premises to ensure safety of clients, other staff and the neighbourhood. To maintain the security of the building by conducting multiple building and area checks including, but not limited to, all doors, back alley, building perimeter, storage and amenity spaces ensuring all is kept in excellent working condition and cleanliness is maintained.
● To process clients, welcome them to the facility, inform them of the services which we are able to provide, inform them of the rules and policies, making them feel comfortable.
● To work as a team with other staff to ensure a safe and caring environment, to take appropriate action should incidents arise.
● To be responsible for general cleanliness, upkeep and minor maintenance of the interior and exterior of the physical plant.
● To carry out our pro-active plans, policies and procedures for interior and exterior maintenance and cleaning, including daily, short and long term, to ensure cleanliness, safety, emergency back-up systems and applicable standards are maintained for clients including move in/outs and physical plant. Work involves, but is not limited to, such tasks as toilet cleaning, bed making, general janitorial, laundry, and minor maintenance. .
● To document interactions, maintain statistical data, and other related paperwork.
● To assist in new employee orientation
● Food preparation
● All other duties as required.
● minimum grade 12
● ability to maintain client/worker boundaries
● bondable, food safe certificate, first aide certificate
● basic problem solving skills
● strong ability to manage stress
● adequate written and oral communication skills necessary
● must be able to work shift work
● Six (6) months recent related experience dealing with homeless populations
● Or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
● BCGEU Classification: Awake Residential Night Worker (Level 6)
Job Type: Casual
Salary: From $22.79 per hour
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Prince George, BC V2L 5T4: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- First Aid Certification (preferred)
- Day Shift (preferred)
- Night Shift (preferred)
- Overnight Shift (preferred)
Work Location: In person