The Assistant Project Manager is responsible for the project and is accountable for satisfying The Company and the client in terms of quality, safety, timeliness and cost. The Assistant Project Manager is responsible for giving the client a satisfying construction experience and is accountable for managing a safe, effective and efficient project, adhering to The Company values, policy and procedures. The Assistant Project Manager may be assigned duties and responsibilities explicitly depicted in the descriptions of other Company role descriptions (i.e. Project Director, Project Manager, and/or Superintendent) as required by the existence of certain circumstances (i.e. size and complexity of the project, availability of qualified management/engineering personnel, etc.). The Assistant Project Manager is accountable for managing the project team and for ensuring subcontractors and suppliers perform as contracted. The Assistant Project Manager is also responsible for the financial performance of the project.
Assistant Project Managers are expected to demonstrate proficiency in the following core competency areas at the level necessary to manage projects of moderate scope.
This position is project site based and may require travel outside of Ontario. Individual assignments will vary based on project scope, phase, and job requirements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following, however, other duties may be assigned. Reasonable accommodations can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Develops, maintains, updates, distributes and manages estimates.
- Informs Project Director/Project Manager of needed change orders and recommends a price for those change orders. As directed, negotiates and implements change orders, including addenda to the contract and how to spread the costs.
- Manages and monitors the critical path on the master schedule. Manages and monitors all assigned aspects of the schedule.
- Has the ability to see future problems/issues.
- Manages to schedule requirements and prepares contingency plans to address nonconformance issues for The Company and subcontractors.
- Identifies project-staffing needs.
- Meets with the Project Director/Project Manager and Chief Estimator to understand how the project was envisioned during the bidding process.
- Develops the overall plan for constructing the project, including methodology, means and master schedule.
- Monitors tool and equipment usage and intervenes as necessary.
- Requires extensive knowledge of cost accounting/reporting system, labor productivity, GC projection reports and expense projections to recognize and correct cost overruns and compensate for estimating mistakes.
- Requires ability to make and communicate monthly updates to superiors and clients.
- Ensures billing is done accurately and in a timely fashion to ensure a positive cash flow for the organization.
- Monitors accounts receivable based on aged receivables reports. Contacts client or subcontractor to determine reasons for non-payment.
- Controls expenses and costs on the project. Regularly studies the labor productivity report and budget status. Takes action as required to keep the project on budget.
- Reviews and approves charges to the project.
- Possesses the ability to apply all utilized modules of project controls software as an effective management tool.
- Ensures drawings are assembled, updated routinely and maintained.
- Ensures and maintains as-built drawings.
- Ensures all change orders are documented.
- Ensures daily logs are maintained.
- Reports and documents issues giving rise to potential claims and keeps PD/PM informed of these issues on a timely basis.
- Ensures test reports, inspection reports and permits are maintained.
- Ensures reporting and maintenance of all safety-related and quality management documentation.
- Coordinates support functions including project start up with internal and external team members.
- Manages the project according to The Company systems, policies and procedures to ensure it is effectively and efficiently constructed and coordinated.
- Manages risk exposures on the project.
- Ensures equipment and supplies with a long lead-time are ordered, and their delivery is monitored.
- Conducts daily meeting with Superintendent to ensure coordination of the project.
- Conducts regular meetings with subcontractors to coordinate activities, review progress and address issues. Communicates original schedule and schedule changes to subcontractors.
- Reviews change orders and schedules them into the project.
- Serves as the neutral arbitrator on jurisdictional issues.
- Leads, models appropriate behavior and ensures the AQM philosophy is followed throughout the project.
- Builds a positive, results-oriented culture among the project team. Challenges the project team to achieve results they may not think is possible.
- Observes and monitors the performance of the Superintendent. Provides ongoing feedback and coaching to enhance their performance.
- Effectively manages change order and billings process and directs meetings.
- Successfully manages subcontractors including dispute resolutions and timely processing of pay requests.
- Develops and maintains an effective working relationship with subcontractors.
- Monitors subcontractor performance, relying on direct observation, observations of the Superintendent and Project Manager, labor productivity reports, etc.
- Approves subcontractor invoices for payment. Compares work billed with work performed and keeps them in balance.
- Manages all labor relations and jurisdiction.
Education, Experience and Skills
BS Degree in Engineering, Construction Management, Architecture or related field and 2 to 5 years experience in project engineering, construction project management or related activities with exposure to projects of moderate scope. Previous experience as the lead construction manager on projects between $7-$15 million is strongly desired.
Please note that work from home and hybrid work models are typically not possible with Project Management positions as they are project site based. #LI-Onsite
**Alberici is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations for applicants will be made upon request throughout the recruitment process.
*We thank all candidates for their interest, however only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview*