STRABAG Inc. is a subsidiary of STRABAG SE, a European-based technology group for construction services. STRABAG Inc. has extensive experience in large-scale underground hard and soft-ground construction projects. We provide expertise in ground engineering and tunnel excavation with qualified personnel. As a TBM Tunnel Manager, you will be responsible for overseeing and managing the construction of tunnels using Tunnel Boring Machines (TBMs). You will ensure the safe and efficient operation of TBMs, coordinate with project stakeholders, and lead a team of tunneling professionals. Your expertise in tunnel construction, TBM operation, and project management will be essential to successfully deliver tunneling projects on time and within budget
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Planning the activities and requirements for the TBM drive.
- Analyze the TBM data to optimize the rates of production.
- Responsible from the logistic area (mucking area, key materials, segments, grout plant etc) required for the advance of the TBM.
- Support and organize the procurement of equipment and materials in a timely manner.
- Maximize the production of the TBMs, backup system, conveyor belt systems, and all other critical equipment and plant.
- Control the works to be performance according to the required quality for final hand over. Will be the contact person for the Submission Manager and Quality Manager.
- Preparing technical reports related to the TBM / logistic and answer the technical comments from the client.
- Collaborate and defining the technical contractual part for the subcontracts and adequate invoicing system.
- Responsible for the invoices approval process related to the responsible site.
- Assess the ground conditions and make critical decisions that will ensure optimized support based on observed convergence and divergence in the lining to guarantee compliance as outlined by the owner and described in detail above.
- Determine consumption of additives such as bentonite, polymers, and foam to be injected into the ground..
- Responsible for the TBM Supervisors, Logistic-, Mucking- and TBM Technical Office Manager.
- Work close together with the Workshop Manager.
- Work close together with the Geotechnical Cont Lead.
- Work close together with the commercial team for comparation, technical approval and purchase of the required materials related to the TBM drive.
- Participate in meetings with the client.
- Supervise survey and TBM guidance operations and ensure TBM operators are adequately trained to maintain a rate of soil removal equal to the rate of machine advance to create a stable environment.
- Instruct, lead, supervise, and train all project subgroups, including subgroup superintendents, foremen and equipment operators with a total workforce of approximately 75 production crew.
- Coordinate with Tunnel Construction Lead, management team and subsection superintendents to ensure the project stays on cost and schedule.
- Complete staffing schedules with the support of subgroup superintendents.
- Manage and coordinate the transferring specialized knowledge from superintendents to the Canadian workforce.
- Work with the Tunnel Construction Lead to cultivate customer relationships through proactive interaction with project owner.
- Train and develop the skills of the shift engineers
Knowledge & Skill Requirements:
- In-depth knowledge of tunneling techniques, TBM operation, and geotechnical considerations.
- Strong project management skills, including the ability to develop project plans, manage budgets, and lead teams.
- Excellent problem-solving and decision-making abilities to overcome technical and logistical challenges.
- Familiarity with safety regulations and quality control practices in tunnel construction.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills to collaborate with diverse stakeholders and lead a team.
- Ability to work under pressure, team player, prioritize tasks, and meet deadlines.
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Management, or a related field. A master's degree is a plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering, P. Eng. qualification
- Proven experience (10 years) in managing TBM (EPB, Slurry) tunnel construction projects., preferably involving TBMs.
- At least 3 completed tunneling projects over CAD$100 million
- Experience working in Canada and working on North American Tunneling projects is an advantage
The employee is generally required to work on a construction site.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package and competitive compensation based on experience and knowledge. STRABAG Inc. is committed to providing equitable opportunities to all applicants and welcomes applications from all qualified persons. We will provide accommodation in recruitment as needed. If you require accommodation, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Job Type: Full-time
- Extended health care
- On-site parking
- RRSP match
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Toronto, ON: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Do have experience working in the heavy civil construction industry?
- Do have experience working in Canada and working on North American Tunneling?projects
Work Location: In person