Genesis Motion Solutions, a Koch Engineered Solutions company, has a unique new opportunity for an experienced Gear Manufacturing Engineer looking to contribute to a truly unique business environment. You will help us build a world-class gear manufacturing and assembly operation to produce industry disruptive actuator technologies for robotics and automation. The ideal candidate will have a creative approach to problem solving and can help guide us as we commercialize our inventive core actuation (electric motors, gears, combined actuators) technologies.
You will be pivotal in developing best practices as we scale our manufacturing capability and capacity. Reporting to the Manufacturing Engineering Lead, you will collaborate with high-calibre manufacturing professionals as well as a talented array of engineers from multiple disciplines to institute manufacturing methods and processes for our robotic and factory automation actuators.
Led by the Manufacturing Engineering Lead, our team of Manufacturing Engineers manage both advanced manufacturing engineering and production support/enhancement activities. As an early-stage innovation-focused organization with numerous new products and product families being developed, prototyped, piloted, and pushed through to production, our dynamic environment is full of excitement and opportunities for individuals to make a big impact.
What You Will Do
- Lead manufacturing tooling build and tooling design releases for engineering prototype and production activities for gearbox units.
- Establish specialized tooling requirement (i.e. assembly or machining) and design for the gear manufacturing process.
- Release engineering drawings for gear blanks.
- Lead the gearbox component manufacturing process flow selection from raw material to finished components.
- Create engineering documentation which include gear data summaries and overlays, gear cutting and grinding procedures, routings, and manufacturing engineering instructions.
- Develop process flows for grinding and shaping sequences for high-class AGMA quality levels.
- Provide and suggest tooling and inspection methods required to ensure the robustness of the manufacturing process considering quality, reliability, and consistency of geared components.
- Maintain and manage hob, cutter, grinding wheel, and work-holding inventories for gear equipment.
- Support maintaining gear shaping and gear grinding equipment in the pilot manufacturing facility.
- Work with equipment and tooling and service suppliers to design most efficient gearing processes.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to move products through the PDP (Product Development Process) phases.
- Work with shop floor teams to coordinate workflow, time efficiencies, and manufacturing engineering availability for development and prototype work.
Assist in the inspection, planning, and quality control of gear making.
Who You Are (Basic Qualifications)
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical, Manufacturing, or Mechatronics Engineering.
- Experience with gear manufacturing.
- Familiarity with GD&T and DFM/DFA.
- Design experience with work-holding or similar manufacturing tooling for gearing.
- Fundamental understanding of heat treatment processes (i.e. carburizing, nitriding) and their impact on manufacturability and quality.
- Familiarity with the properties of generic steel materials for gear train design and manufacturing.
- Knowledge of Gear Analysis, Measuring, and CAD systems.
- Understand the technical principles and theories related to gear design, gear manufacturing, and gear measurement analysis.
- Hands-on experience with fabrication equipment such as manual mill and manual lathe.
- Professional experience in solid modelling software such as Solidworks, Inventor, or similar.
Experience with quality management processes and tools such as AQP, PFMEA, and DFM.
What Will Put You Ahead
- Intermediate to senior level manufacturing engineering experience with gear manufacturing, gearbox assembly, and quality control.
- Experience in high-mix low-volume gear cutting and gear grinding operations.
- Familiarity with Gear Metrology Systems (i.e. Gleason and etc.).
- Familiarity with KISSsoft in gear design or gear manufacturing.
- Experience with data analysis and mathematical modelling software such as MATLAB or Python
- Experience in experimental analysis methods of rotary equipment such as experimental modal analysis.
- Experience and familiarity with Fanuc and Siemens controller interfaces for gearing equipment programming.
- Ability to read and interpret gear inspection charts.
At Koch companies, we are entrepreneurs. This means we openly challenge the status quo, find new ways to create value and get rewarded for our individual contributions. Any compensation range provided for a role is an estimate determined by available market data. The actual amount may be higher or lower than the range provided considering each candidate's knowledge, skills, abilities, and geographic location. If you have questions, please speak to your recruiter about the flexibility and detail of our compensation philosophy.
Who We Are
As part of Koch Engineered Solutions, we at Genesis Motion Solutions are redefining motion - changing the way automation and robotics are designed and perform and disrupting one of today's most rapidly growing and transformative technologies in unexpected ways. We look for inspiration beyond the conventional and encourage collaboration in the creative process. All of this is wrapped in a deep commitment to our core values. Sound like you? Join our team!
About Koch Engineered Solutions
Koch Engineered Solutions, part of the Koch Industries family of companies, is a dynamic network of businesses that work together to create an ecosystem of domain expertise. Increasing operational efficiency and safety. Reducing waste and emissions. The manufacturing challenges of today aren't just about improving performance or practicing environmental stewardship, such as managing water and waste, reducing carbon emissions and increasing energy efficiency. They are about doing both, but better. That's where you come in. We are a people company. It's our people who bring the domain expertise and engineered solutions to our customers. Join our ranks and change the world.
At Koch, employees are empowered to do what they do best to make life better. Learn how our business philosophy helps employees unleash their potential while creating value for themselves and the company.
Keywords: gear, gearbox, gearing, geared, cutting, grinding, tooling, KISSsoft, Gleason, manufacturing engineering, GD&T, heat treatment, fabrication, shop, mill, lathe, work-holding