At Halton Region, we treat everyone with respect, honesty, fairness and trust. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to establishing a qualified workforce that is reflective of the diverse population we serve. Halton Region is committed to providing accommodation to individuals with disabilities throughout the recruitment process.
As an employer of choice, Halton Region recognizes the many benefits of hybrid work arrangements including flexibility and better work-life balance for our employees. This position is eligible for our Hybrid Work Program.
Posting ID: 2300
Department: Public Works
Division: Engineering & Construction
Pay Range: $75,743- $100,992
Job Type: Permanent
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week
Work Location: Halton Regional Centre, 1151 Bronte Road, Oakville
Employee Group: OCT
Posting Date: September 11, 2023
Application Deadline: September 24, 2023
The Project Manager I, Engineering & Construction position will manage numerous capital projects, informing the planning process and leading projects from start of preliminary design to commissioning.
- Represents Halton Region at public consultations, presentations, open houses, and face-to-face interactions with the public, contractors, and regulatory agencies.
- Designs in-house projects in accordance with engineering standards and best practices and seals/stamps engineering drawings as appropriate.
- Researches into and makes recommendations to adapt new technologies, techniques and materials in the design and construction of water, wastewater and transportation infrastructure.
- Selects, directs and supervises consulting engineers in the design and construction of Regional capital works.
- Obtains all necessary regulatory approvals and permits.
- Ensures the full involvement of client divisions/departments in the implementation of Regional projects including coordinating the participation of infrastructure planning, water/wastewater operations and maintenance and road operations staff.
- Exercises effective cost and schedule control of Capital Projects.
- Ensures that the works are constructed in compliance with the contract documents and applicable Health and Safety Policies.
- Acts as a key contributor in the value engineering exercises to ensure all infrastructure meets its intended functions in accordance with the project scope.
- Ensures that any complaints received from the public during the work period are resolved in a timely manner.
- Prepares reports to Regional Council.
- Provides input to continuous improvement of Halton’s design criteria and project delivery manuals.
- Contributes as a stakeholder to the planning of the 10-year capital program.
- Educates, coaches, and mentors junior project/engineering staff.
- Represents the Section on departmental or corporate committees as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- A Post-Secondary Degree in Civil Engineering or equivalent.
- A Professional Engineering License (P.Eng.) Or Engineer-in-Training designation (EIT).
- A minimum of (1-2) one to two years of directly related experience in the areas of design, construction, contract administration, and the commissioning of water and wastewater (linear and facility) and/or transportation infrastructure.
- Demonstrated experience delivering complex and innovative capital projects on schedule and on budget.
- Expert project management, strategic planning, and analytical problem-solving skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, along with strong facilitation, negotiation, and dispute resolution skills to interface with multiple stakeholders including Regional staff, contractors, consultants, council, and the general public.
- Knowledge of evolving technologies, in-depth technical engineering and construction knowledge, and be familiar with relevant standards, documentation, and legislation (Safe Drinking Water Act, Clean Water Act, Ontario Water Resources Act, Environmental Protection Act, American Water Works Association Standards, Construction Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act, etc.).
- Project Management Professional (PMP) designation.
An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Flexibility in working hours will be required as there may be frequent trips to operational facilities and project sites.
- Travel is required between locations within Halton Region, the incumbent must have and supply own transportation.
- A current (obtained within the past six (6) months), original and acceptable Criminal Records Check, by the first day of employment.
- The incumbent will be required to provide a copy of their driver’s license by their first day of employment.
Important information about your application:
- In accordance with requirements in Ontario Regulation 191/11 – Integrated Accessibility Standards and the Ontario Human Rights Code, Halton Region will accommodate the needs of individuals with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodation at any stage of the recruitment process, please inform the Talent Acquisition representative of the nature of the accommodation(s) you require.
- Please submit your application online. We will accommodate individual needs for applicants with disabilities and others who are not able to apply online. If you experience any issues with submitting your application, please contact HR Access at 905-825-6000 extension 7700.
- Applications will be accepted until 11:59 p.m. on the deadline date specified on the posting.
- We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
- Personal information collected through the job application process will only be used for the purpose of determining qualifications for employment.
- If selected for an interview, you will be contacted by email and/or phone. Please ensure the contact information provided on your resume is up to date and that you check your email and voicemail regularly.
Halton Region serves more than 624,000 residents throughout Burlington, Halton Hills, Milton and Oakville. We are committed to delivering high quality programs and services that make Halton a great place to live and work. We engage great people who contribute to meaningful work that makes a positive difference in our community. At Halton, you are encouraged to grow and succeed in your career and are recognized for your accomplishments and contributions. As an employee, you will be part of a progressive, service focused and award winning employer with a diverse and inclusive work environment.