Job Title: Life and Vocational Skills Support Worker
Benchmark Title: Support Worker 2
Classification Grid: 34
Bargaining Unit: Hospital Employees Union
Reports to: Program Manager
The Life Skills Worker under the supervision of the Program Manager will provide a life skills program for agency or self-referred clients who are impacted by mental illness and/or addictions. The Life Skills Support Worker will assist clients with mental, developmental and/or physical disabilities to live and work successfully in the community by determining appropriate care and interventions to meet individual needs and situational requirements. They will provide a variety of day-to-day physical, emotional, and social supports, advocacy, life skills assistance, information, resources and demonstrations.
1. Participates in the case planning with clients and/or health care providers by performing duties such as interviewing clients to identify problems and needs, obtaining required information from a variety of sources such as families and care providers, documenting client needs and wants and assisting clients to determine and access appropriate programming.
2. Advocates for clients by assisting them in problem solving in areas such as activities of daily living, financial assistance, accessing community resources and obtaining required services for their health and well being.
3. Observes clients, identifies and assesses potential emergency situations, and develops short term strategies (that fit within the defined client goals) to deal with such situations. Reports medical, behavioural and other problems as required to the appropriate authority. Provides feedback and input regarding clients’ needs, performance and progress.
4. Instruct, demonstrate and follow procedures to assist clients to become as independent as possible in taking responsibility for the individual’s activities of daily living, including access to SDPR personnel and office sites.
5. Provides supportive counselling, demonstrations, modelling, psycho-social education and behaviour management to clients, their families and their personal networks to assist with the development of physical, social, emotional, employment and life skills such as maintaining personal hygiene, housekeeping, meal planning and preparation, meeting financial obligations, making and keeping appointments and work schedule, completing work tasks and interpersonal skills.
6. May be involved in oversight of medication with the provision of medication reminders in accordance with established policies.
7. Identifies available social, economic, recreational and educational services and resources in the community that will assist in meeting client needs. Provides clients/families with related information.
8. Facilitates clients’ physical, recreational, educational and employment needs by performing duties such as assisting where required with transportation and implementation supports to succeed in the tasks. Ensure adequate levels of support and reduction of those supports as independence grows.
9. Receives client/family/supports feedback, inquiries and complaints and responds as required.
10. Carries out administrative transactions such as petty cash and making deposits and withdrawals if required.
11. Completes and maintains related records and documentation such as care plans, progress reports, statistics and daily logs.
12. Participates as a team member in regular team meetings including meetings with our partner agencies.
13. Provides direction to volunteers as required
14. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education, training and Experience:
Certificate in Community Social Service required
Bachelor’s degree in social services an asset
Two years of recent related experience working in the human service field or equivalent combination of education, training and experience
Experience and education with Mental Illness and Addictions an asset
Certificates in CP, First Aid and food safe an asset
Valid BC Class 4 driver’s license or willingness to obtain one within reasonable time frame after hire
Means of transportation suitable for transporting clients
COVID 19 vaccines up to date
Skills and Abilities
Knowledge and understanding of the impacts of addiction
Knowledge and understanding of the impacts of developmental disabilities
Knowledge and understanding of the impacts of mental illness
Ability to communication and to interact effectively both verbally and in writing
Ability to organize and prioritize
Ability to establish and maintain rapport with clients
Ability to observe and recognize changes in clients
Ability to instruct one on one and in a group setting
Physical ability to carry out duties of the position
Ability to work independently and in cooperation with others
Ability to operate related equipment.
Ability to analyze and resolve problems
Conflict resolution and crisis intervention skills.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $18.54-$27.44 per hour
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Paid time off
Work Location: In person