Neighbourly Pharmacy is looking for a Registered Pharmacy Technician to join our Wynyard, SK location at Wynyard Pharmacy.
Neighbourly Pharmacy is Canada's largest and fastest-growing network of community pharmacies. With over 295+ locations, our team of experienced industry leaders is passionate about providing exceptional patient care to our communities. We have been recently recognized as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies. We know that our people are our most valuable asset, and we take pride in helping our employees realize their career goals.
Reporting to the Store Operator/Pharmacy Manager, and under the supervision of a pharmacist, this position will practice in collaboration with pharmacists to provide the best possible pharmacy services to our patients. The Pharmacy Technician’s primary role is to ensure prescriptions are filled correctly. The right medication gets to the patient, related administration, and managed inventory. They will transcribe verbal orders, transfer prescriptions, and check on the technical aspects of the prescription. They will always exercise professional judgment and be able to recognize when the clinical expertise of a pharmacist is required.
- 40 hours per week.
- The usual shifts will be Monday to Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm OR 9:00 am to 5:30 pm.
- Some Saturdays are required from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.
- This is a 1-year term position with the possibility of an extension.
- The Pharmacy Technician has the independent authority, responsibility, and accountability to:
- Prepare and process prescriptions.
- Compound sterile and non-sterile products.
- Transfer to and receive prescriptions from prescribers, and other pharmacists/pharmacy technicians.
- Receive verbal prescriptions from prescribers.
- Perform a final check on filled prescriptions before the release.
- Provide education on health aids and devices.
- Certifying written drug orders.
- Check filled unit dose carts from a fill list.
- Take the patient’s medication history.
- Point of care testing, device teaching, and independent technical checks of prescriptions.
- The Pharmacy Technician will focus on the technical aspects of a prescription. This includes the following:
- Gathering patient information for the pharmacist to review.
- Product preparation.
- Product distribution.
- Inventory management, including participating in cycle counts, narcotic counts, inventory discrepancy investigation, and order.
- Perform administration functions, such as documentation, third-party billing reconciliations, and completing required audits.
- Review prescriptions to confirm that they are complete, authentic, and meet all current laws, regulations, and policies.
- Answer patients’ questions and refer them to the pharmacist if the question requires a patient assessment, clinical analysis, or application of therapeutic knowledge.
- Report any occurrences of adverse events and close calls to the pharmacist and disclose the event as appropriate.
- Ensure confidentiality of patient information and request and release such information only where appropriate and legally allowed.
- Participate in and promote patient safety initiatives.
- Manage the pharmacy environment by maintaining the inventory, including safe storage, and handling of drugs.
- Maintain the cleanliness, functionality, and integrity of compounding, packaging, dispensing, and storage equipment.
- Participate in continuing professional development.
- Comply with relevant occupational health and safety legislation.
- Check and accept responsibility for the work of pharmacy assistants employed in the pharmacy.
- With the assistance of information software, identify potential interactions, therapeutic duplications, and incompatibilities within patient profiles.
- Perform quality assurance audits/checks on distribution functions and activities.
- Assist patients and healthcare team members in understanding the scope, limitations, and exceptions to third-party insurance coverage including coordination of benefits.
- Recognize and respond to unusual patterns of drug distribution.
- Ensure safe, accessible, and cost-effective medicines are available.
- Other duties as assigned by the Pharmacy Manager.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Licenced Pharmacy Technician in the province of Saskatchewan.
- Pharmacy Technician Certificate from a CCAPP-accredited post-secondary institution.
- Previous retail pharmacy experience is an asset.
- Kroll software experience is an asset.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Able to work independently and have experience multitasking.
- Professional attitude and ability to communicate well with customers and co-workers.
- Due to this position’s sensitive nature, the successful candidate must complete a Criminal Record Check.
Neighbourly Pharmacy is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to delivering accessibility and equality to all job applicants, staff, and customers. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired.
Job Types: Full-time, Fixed term contract
Contract length: 12 months
Flexible Language Requirement:
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends as needed
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Wynyard, SK S0A 4T0: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Licenced Pharmacy Technician in Saskatchewan (required)
Work Location: In person