Keen Engineering is currently hiring for an experienced Mechanical Designer with experience in commercial and residential industry.
Lead the detailed design of various sizes of projects and train a new team of designers and engineers.
- Supervise designers and be a leader.
- Provide technical guidance to clients and other project sub-consultants.
- Mentor and supervise Mechanical Designers, Intermediate Mechanical Designers and Intermediate Mechanical Engineers and review their work prior to submitting to Project Managers, Associates and Principals.
- Attend design and coordination meetings as required.
- Strong understanding of construction and perform construction site reviews when required.
- Preparation of schematic design and design development reports.
- Analyze client design proposals and specifications to determine the most appropriate and cost- effective design solutions.
- Selection of mechanical equipment working with suppliers and manufacturer’s representatives.
- Preparation of either book or drawing mechanical specifications.
- Peer review of other colleague’s drawings and design.
- Provide complete, fully reviewed projects to Project Manager for final review.
- Coordination of mechanical systems and design with other disciplines.
- Determining project design and drafting hours required to complete a project and communicate the resources required to meet the project deadlines to the Project Manager.
- Identify and address the need for additional services and fees to the Project Manager in a timely fashion.
- Maintain project schedules and project budgets to track work progress and manpower resource utilization with assistance from the Project Manager.
- Assist contract administration team with the review of shop drawings, responses to RFIs, design changes and associated costs.
- Strive to accomplish company goals of high-quality workmanship and project timelines through
- Continual improvement of workflows and design standards.
Experience & Qualifications
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering with a minimum of 5-10 years’ experience as a Professional Engineer: P. Eng. or highly experienced mechanical designer in Alberta.
- Detailed understanding of all building systems including architectural, structural, civil, electrical and fire and how they impact and are impacted by the mechanical systems. Ability to interpret construction drawings and specifications.
- Strong knowledge of current codes and standards such as the applicable plumbing and building codes.
- Excellent written skills and understanding of software programs (Microsoft Word, Bluebeam, AutoCAD, REVIT, etc.).
- Understanding of financials as they apply to projects: Work backlog, Work in progress (WIP), project costs vs. budgets.
- Ability to schedule, mentor and manage project teams of 1 to 3 people on 2 or more concurrent projects depending on size and complexity.
Benefits & Compensation
- Salary range commensurate with experience.
- Flex days, vacation days and end of year break
- Work from Home Hybrid Program
Job Type: Full-time
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Calgary, AB T2E 8C3
Expected start date: 2023-10-16