Senior Mechanical Process/ Design Engineer
Who We Are:
Headquartered in Ottawa (Kanata) Ontario and privately held Equispheres is a materials science company focused on advanced technologies such as additive manufacturing and cold spray applications. Equispheres’ vision is to unlock the potential of these technologies by engineering and providing ultra-high-performance mono-sized metal powders.
Equispheres patent-pending atomization technology produces free-flowing, consistently sized, agglomerate and fine-free spherical metal powders designed to significantly improve manufacturing processes, quality, and reliability of customers’ end use products.
Equispheres’ staff of researchers, metallurgists, and engineers, offer a range of services including custom alloy development and application support required to meet demanding aerospace, automotive, medical, and military component requirements.
Equispheres is currently seeking an experienced Senior Mechanical Process/ Design Engineer to join our growing technical team. We are a fast-paced and demanding startup environment engaged in the continued development and commercialization of existing and future production processes.
This role will consist of designing, specifying, sourcing, assembling, and testing of a variety of industrial process systems and solutions to support the Equispheres’ technology rollout schedule. The ideal applicant will be a demonstrated self-starter with a broad range of technical skills and demonstrated experience using SolidWorks. The applicant will have hands-on experience and be capable of performing additional tasks as required within our ISO environment.
This position will work closely with all members of Equispheres’ technical and operations teams reporting to the VP of Engineering.
Qualifications and Skills
Recognized bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or equivalent.
10+ years of progressively responsible experience and a proven track record working in several or all of the following process engineering activities:
- Exposure to piping and pressure vessels
- Mechanical design of piping and related gas and power transfer/ conveyance systems
- Electro-mechanical systems
- Design and application of fluid power (hydraulic, pneumatic, and vacuum)
- Application of a variety of industrial process components (e.g., valves, pressure/temperature sensors, flow controllers, blowers, and pumps)
- Working knowledge and experience of designing to meet applicable regulations and codes (e.g., TSA, CEC, NFPA, and OHSA)
10+ years demonstrated experience with SolidWorks
5+ years of project management experience:
- developing and managing budgets
- liaising with contractors, vendors and in house teams
Highly Desirable Requirements
- Professional designation or the ability to acquire.
- Powder processing and material science knowledge or demonstrated experience.
- Experience and exposure to any metal atomization process, ideally aluminum.
- Experience or exposure with melt facing components equipment and techniques.
- Ceramic experience and asset.
- Proficiency with FEA/CFD software.
- Production ramp-up experience and working with a quality management framework.
Physical Skills and Abilities
Ability to work in an office setting and production floor.
Working at Equispheres
Equispheres values integrity, equity, respect, compassion, and dignity. We are committed to providing a positive, open, inclusive, and accessible work environment that applies and embodies those values. At Equispheres, we all contribute to making the environment a positive and great place for everyone. We believe this is critical to our success. Safety is always important - follow, respect, and be a champion of safe practices.
Equispheres provides competitive pay and benefits and is proud to offer all our employees an opportunity to participate in our share options program.
Full time, indeterminate
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
10% to 15%
Please apply online or email 1) cover letter, and 2) current resume via e-mail to: [email protected]
(Please reference Senior Mechanical Designer/ Process Engineer in the e-mail subject line.)
Equispheres is an equal opportunity employer, with policies and practices intended to be an inclusive and accessible work environment. If you require accommodation during the recruiting process, please include in your cover letter when applying for the position and all efforts to provide appropriate accommodation will be put in place.