Senior Metallurgist - (14007)
Improve the processes of today
Define the best practices of tomorrow
At Côté Gold, we focus on what we contribute, not just what we extract. We believe that in order for prosperity to be sustained, it must be shared, it must support the well-being of our employees and our communities, and it must be achieved with minimal impact to the environment.
Côté Gold is being developed in partnership with the Mattagami First Nation, Flying Post First Nation and Métis Nation of Ontario, Region 3.
The open-pit gold mine is a joint venture between IAMGOLD and Sumitomo Metal Mining Co. Ltd. and is operated by IAMGOLD. We are located near Gogama, Ontario, with access to stable infrastructure and strong connections with our local communities.
Accessing Opportunities at Côté Gold
IAMGOLD is committed to treating all people in a way that respects their dignity and independence. Should you require any support or accommodation during the recruitment process or otherwise, please notify us when you apply and we will work to meet your accessibility needs.
The Senior Metallurgist will lead and coordinate metallurgy deliverables for Côté Gold and oversee technical metallurgical information and analysis regarding mill process metallurgy. They will report and communicate progress and participate in various mill projects and business improvement initiatives. Additionally, they will provide technical expertise, support, coaching and training to the Metallurgists, Metallurgy Technicians, and Refiners, as well as manage consultants and other related stakeholders. The Senior Metallurgist will undertake specific projects to improve production plant performance, and plan/lead tasks related to the metallurgical and refinery process.
Develop and provide leadership to the team.
- Lead by example.
- Actively engage in recruiting and developing a diverse team of metallurgists, technicians, and refiners in accordance with the organizational design strategy.
- Build and lead a dynamic team focused on safety, planning, data analytics, effective communication, and continuous improvement.
- Organize work plans, prioritize, and administer processes and procedures to ensure efficient use of time and resources.
- Create space for your team to be effective in delivering results and foster an inclusive work environment.
- Ensure current and future training requirements are met and develop clear progression paths for the team.
- Mentor and coach team members to impart best practices in all metallurgical and refinery activities.
- Promote a high-performance culture by setting expectations, conducting performance reviews, and providing feedback and coaching.
Lead and oversee mill process metallurgy and refinery.
- Lead and coordinate mill process metallurgy activities including sampling, analysis, testing, circuit performance, and metallurgical accounting.
- Lead and coordinate all refinery activities, including the safe and secure handling of gold, housekeeping and maintenance of specialized equipment.
- Coordinate inputs from Geology, Mine Operations, Mill Operations, Maintenance, and the Laboratory to optimize mill performance.
- Engage with vendors, consultants, and contractors where required.
- Direct operator activities for circuit checks and accurately measure key milling parameters.
- Analyze and interpret metallurgical and process data to ensure alignment with operational objectives.
- Oversee data and statistical inputs from sampling results, recovery results, etc. to adjust plan accordingly.
- Perform metallurgical accounting, plant test work, and water balance monitoring.
- Investigate whether methods being used are the most efficient, safe, and environmentally acceptable.
- Assist the Metallurgy Superintendent and Mill Operations Superintendent in the development of the business case and LOM.
- Evaluate trade-offs and recommend solutions.
- Prepare reports and written materials related to technical recommendation and improvements to mill operations.
- Troubleshoot and optimize circuit performance and gold production, as well as reagent usage to minimize cost.
- Ensure safe, efficient, and accurate operation of online analyzers and samplers throughout process.
- Other duties as required (ex. monthly reporting, scheduling, and budgeting).
Lead others in a collaborative environment to deliver innovative continuous improvement opportunities.
- Seek and implement best-in-class practices.
- Propose new methods to meet challenges of process metallurgy.
- Identify training and development opportunities for the team.
- Keep abreast of trends in process metallurgy and impart to Côté Gold.
- Provide new approaches, methods, or policies to optimize performance and ensure compliance with industry regulations and organizational standards.
- Continuously seek to improve technical knowledge and skills.
- Conduct research and benchmarking to support decision-making and improve milling processes, technologies and methodologies used for the mill.
- Evaluate and implement projects to improve gold production efficiency and/or reduce costs.
Minimum Requirements and Nice To Haves
minimum qualifications, formal education, certifications or equivalents
- Post-secondary degree in Metallurgical Engineering, or a related field is required.
- Registration as an Engineer in Ontario (PEO) is considered an asset.
Work experience - Nature & Length
- 5-8 years of related work experience, with at least 2 years of related leadership experience.
- Must have a solid understanding of optimizing mill throughput and recovery.
- Previous experience in a gold processing plant is considered an asset.
Additional qualifications - Competency requirements
- Proficiency in computer applications and metallurgical softwares.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to work independently and in team settings.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure.
- Good observational and analytical skills.
- Must be able to handle a high level of confidentiality.
- Must be capable of implementing changes to improve operational results.
- Ability to collaborate and effectively lead others in a team environment.
What We Offer
IAMGOLD believes in rewarding outstanding performance with an equally outstanding total rewards package. Our attractive offerings include:
Competitive Salary and Bonus Extended Health, Dental and Insurance Benefit Coverage Health Spending Account Fitness & Wellness Subsidy Employee & Family Assistance Program Registered Pension Plan with Company Match Employee Share Purchase Plan with Company Match TFSA & RRSP Electric Vehicle Subsidy
Empowering People – Extraordinary Performance
IAMGOLD is a leading mid-tier Canadian gold producer with operating gold mines on three continents. We are in growth-mode, with a robust pipeline of development and exploration projects in Canada, South America and Africa. Throughout our 30 year history, we have demonstrated our commitment to responsible and sustainable mining practices, and our Zero Harm® commitment ensures that we continually strive to reach the highest standards in human health and safety, minimize our impact on the environment and support the development of the local communities in which we proudly operate. IAMGOLD was recently recognized by the Corporate Knights magazine on its Top 50 Corporate Citizens in Canada list.
Primary Location: Canada
Work Locations: 06 - Cote Gold Mine Site IAMGOLD Corp, Côté Gold Division 3 Mesomikenda Lake RdPO Box 100 Gogama P0M 1W0
Job: Technical Services
Organization: Cote Gold
Job Posting: Aug 9, 2023, 4:08:19 PM