Position Title: Child Minding/Youth Program Worker
Pay Grid: $15.00
Reports To: HFA Programing Manager
Department: Health Fitness and Aquatics
Hours: 0-30 hours per week
YMCA of Medicine Hat strives to integrate our commitment to diversity and social inclusion in all that we do. We believe that strong leadership is created through the sharing of diverse experiences and perspectives. We actively seek candidates who embody these principles and who reflect the many dimensions of the communities we serve. We are a charitable organization that provides health and fitness opportunities, employment services, licensed childcare, and various community programs in Medicine Hat, Redcliff, and Brooks. When you work at the YMCA, you’ll play an important part in building strong, thriving communities while positively impacting people’s lives. Join our team at the Y, a place where everyone belongs — including you!
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day, demonstrating our values in action.
Wedo the right thing.
We are caring, respectful, honest, and responsible in all that we do.
Weput people first.
We believe in each other – honoring our strengths, diversity, perspectives, and passions.
We keep our promises.
We do what we say we will do.
We lead by example.
We are courageous, speaking with conviction and always willing to listen and collaborate.
What qualification are we looking for?
At the YMCA of Medicine Hat, we strive to ensure our employees are a good fit based on their strengths, interests, and future goals.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Ability to act professionally in all situations, representing the YMCA according to its core values
- Able to deal with difficult situations and complaints with confidence
- Excellent communication, organization, and time management skills
- Evidence of a clear Police Record Search (with Vulnerable Sector Check only if working with children), within the last six months
- Cover letter and resume
What does this role look like at YMCA Medicine Hat?
- This position is responsible for providing childminding and youth programing services to children that access the YMCA facility while demonstrating all YMCA values.
- Be committed to exceptional customer service and member engagement
- Have positive interactions with members throughout the building; never just walk by a member
- Identify and create opportunities to enhance each and every person’s YMCA experience
- Model YMCA mission and core values at all times
- Demonstrates appropriate behaviors in line with our Mission, Vision and Values as reflected in our YMCA competencies; takes a member focused approach to increase their understanding of programs offered across the Association.
- Aid in the training of all new childminding and youth programing staff and volunteers
- Coverage for Birthday Parties and Special Events as required
- Work Seasonal Day Camps throughout the year
- Work in a team environment to achieve optimal collective results
- Develop and maintain smooth cooperative working relations with all staff and volunteers
SAM/Place to Connect Standards:
- Ensure all department areas conform and meet YMCA SAM 2.1 standards and expectations
- Complete daily cleaning tasks and checklists
- General cleaning as required around the facility
- Submit any comments/complaints to the appropriate staff for follow-up
- Be accessible and available to respond to concerns/issues as required
- Communicate a large quantity of information clearly and concisely in person and over the telephone by understanding the organizational structure of the YMCA Medicine Hat
Quality of Work:
- Candidates must be able to work days, evenings and weekends
- Providing a safe and positive environment at all times where children/youth can learn, develop skills and make new friends
- Implementing and facilitating child/youth programs, as outlined by HFA Program Manager, ensuring programs meet established goals and targets
- Care for children by engaging children in play and offering age-appropriate activities (prepare and set-up craft and other art program(s) for children)
- Working collaboratively to assist in the development of a program schedule and offering that meets the needs of YMCA members and the community
- Collecting statistics as required for all child/youth programming, as directed by the HFA Program Manager
Compliance with Legislation and YMCA Policies and Procedures:
- Follow all YMCA policies and procedures
- Ensure all necessary health and safety procedures are adhered to (preventative check of toys/equipment, fire safety, emergency and accident procedures, cleaning practices, etc.)
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- Work in loud noisy environment
- May be going from standing to seating positions, from standing to kneeling positions, from kneeling to standing positions, from seating to standing positions for most of the working day, there will be walking throughout the day
- Walking up and down stairs
- May lift or move items up to 50 lbs including children
- Working on a computer screen, computer keyboard and mouse
- May be exposed to children or adults who may not be vaccinated
- May be exposed to verbal/physical abuse from external and internal clients
With a cover letter, resume, and 3 references (email addresses and phone numbers) who can attest to your character and previous work and/or volunteer performance.
Job Type: Part-time
Part-time hours: 0-30 per week
Salary: $15.00 per hour
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 2023-09-14