Manufacturing Engineer - Gear and Gearbox Design – North Vancouver
United Gear & Machine Works Ltd. (“United Gear”) is immediately hiring a mechanical engineer to assist in the design, manufacture, and rebuild of gearing and gearboxes for forestry, wind, marine, and mining industries. United Gear is strategically located in North Vancouver to support local industries.
For over 55 years United Gear has specialized in gearbox refurbishment and gearbox enhancement. The company manufactures all styles of internal and external gears, including spur, helical, bevel, and worm. United Gear has set itself apart by providing the highest quality gearbox refurbishment services to mining and other industrial operations within North America.
- Assist in the design and improvement of gearbox rebuilds.
- Support the planning and execution of gearbox rebuilds by assisting in failure analysis, producing inspection reports, assisting in costing, and executing the workflow.
- Assist in quality control and inspection activities with the ability to accurately measure with geometry, dimensioning, and tolerance skills.
- Prepare manufacturing drawings and design concepts in SolidWorks.
- Work closely with Machine shop supervisors, quality assurance, and maintenance personnel to proactively prevent problems with machining and tooling/fixtures.
- Track OEM part numbers and improvements to ensure continuous improvement of United Gear products and services.
- Assist in the calibration of tooling and equipment as required.
- Develop knowledge of machining, gear cutting, and gear grinding process.
Qualification and Required Skills
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in mechanical or manufacturing Engineering or Engineering Technologist with a minimum of 2-4 years of related experience.
- Excellent skills with 3D modeling and 2D CAD applications, AutoCAD and SolidWorks preferred.
- Experience with gear calculation and design is a definite asset.
- Must be familiar with routing, estimating, and quotation processes.
- Experience with gearbox design and improvement is a knowledge asset.
- Knowledge of general metallurgy and material wear properties is an asset.
- Experience with mining equipment and new mining technologies preferred.
- Team player, with the right attitude, and “hands-on” approach, who communicates effectively with others.
- Must be able to work individually and as a team member, ready to take direction but also lead and direct the work of others.
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills.
- Willingness to travel to customers, suppliers, and group companies.
- Possess creative problem-solving skills capable of recommending solutions in applications and design while implementing support equipment or work processes.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $65,000.00-$80,000.00 per year
- Casual dress
- Disability insurance
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Vision care
Ability to commute/relocate:
- North Vancouver, BC V7H 1T9: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred)
Work Location: In person