Salary: $27.11 per hour (Grid 21)
Hours of Work: 18 hours per week Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday
Date Posted: September 8th, 2023
Closing Date: Open until filled.
Commencement Date: November, 2023
Status: Permanent, Part-Time
Work Area: Kamloops, BC - Gardengate Program
About Open Door Group
Open Door Group is a non-profit organization that has been serving communities across British Columbia since 1976. Today, we continue to provide tailored employment and recreational services to individuals and businesses to build strong workforce ecosystems and thriving communities.
As one of Canada’s Certified Great Places to Work, we pride ourselves on modelling a culture of authenticity and transparency. Our core values are based on the genuine belief that all individuals have the ability to succeed and are the drivers of their own success, and we aim to support lifelong learning and career success for the people we serve, as well as our employees.
Reporting to the Program Coordinator, you will implement established activities to meet clients’ activation, life skills, recreational, and social needs, and assists clients with activities of daily living as required.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Implements and participates in horticulture, activation, life skills, recreational, and/or social activities designed to meet the needs of clients, providing demonstrations as required.
2. Adapts and modifies established activities to meet the special needs of clients.
3. Participates in the development of activities by providing input to senior positions.
4. Observes clients and their environments, and reports unsafe conditions and behavioral, physical, and/or cognitive changes to supervisor.
5. Promotes client participation in activities, and provides feedback regarding the performance and progress of clients.
6. Accompanies clients on outings such as appointments, shopping, and leisure activities.
7. Receives client feedback, inquiries, and complaints, and responds as required.
8. Assists and encourages clients with activities of daily living, such as use of transportation, as required.
9. Provides direction to Activity Assistants and volunteers as required.
10. Sets up furnishings and equipment for activities.
11. Maintains an inventory of equipment, tools, and materials related to activities.
12. Completes and maintains related records and documentation such as statistics, progress reports, activity participation reports, observation reports, and client activity profiles.
13. Refers clients to other programs/services and provides information regarding available resources.
14. Performs housekeeping duties such as sweeping and mopping floors, washing dishes, cleaning gardening equipment, and hosing down sheds.
15. Performs limited food preparation such as heating prepared food, and making tea, coffee, toast, salads, and sandwiches.
16. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Completion of a Peer Support or Activity Assistant Program.
Class 5 BC Driver’s License.
Certificates in CPR and First Aid.
Recent, related experience of one year.
Or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Or other Qualifications determined to be reasonable and relevant to the level of work.
Skills and Abilities
Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
Ability to work independently and in cooperation with others.
Ability to operate related equipment.
Ability to organize and prioritize.
Ability to establish and maintain rapport with clients.
Ability to observe and recognize changes in clients.
Ability to instruct.
Knowledge of, and ability to do, various arts and crafts, handicrafts, and sports activities.
Must pass a criminal background check.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Officer Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Open Door Group must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
Open Door Group values diversity and is committed to providing an inclusive work environment. We are looking for qualified individuals who represent, at all job levels, the diversity of the people we serve and encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, individuals of all genders and sexual orientation, origin and ethnic affiliations, disability, age, and religion.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Thank you for your interest in joining the Open Door Group team!