As a Certified Process Engineering Technologist (C.E.T.) at M2 Engineering you will be responsible for various activities related to engineering design and construction management. In this position, you will work side by side our engineering teams to troubleshoot problems and help find efficient and effective solutions for our clients.
In this role, you will work as a key contributor of our water and wastewater team. Your key responsibilities for this role include process design, Computer Aided Design (CAD), performing field reviews for projects in construction, and assisting with construction management activities.
This position requires an understanding of process piping and valves, chemical systems, pumping systems, and process equipment. As a process technologist you will provide design support to our engineering team, including sizing and selection of equipment, preparation of equipment layouts, coordination of process components with other engineering disciplines, drafting of process and instrumentation diagrams, and drafting of mechanical equipment and piping layouts.
This position requires experience with Computer Aided Design (CAD) software, primarily Autodesk AutoCAD and Autodesk AutoCAD Plant 3D. In this role as a CAD Operator, you will work as a key member of our team to assist in the design and development of sketches, figures, P&IDs, and engineering design drawings for our water and wastewater projects. Experience with the design of process systems is an asset as this role includes working with a multi-discipline engineering project team to deliver complex multi-discipline projects.
This position also requires field engineering experience. You will liaise directly between our engineering team, contractors, and our clients. As a process technologist you will be responsible for construction contract administration. This includes coordinating contractor enquiries, request for information submissions, shop drawings, site visits / field reviews, progress payment certificates, monthly construction meetings, and the preparation of meeting minutes and records. You will provide onsite field reviews of construction projects, and preparation / review of various reports and documents related to the execution of a construction contract. Your role as a field reviewer may require short out of town trips for a 1-2 hour site visits, or longer trips that could require you do be onsite away from work for weeks at a time.
We anticipate this position to be 50% office work and 50% field work, and therefore, this position requires driving to projects sites throughout Alberta, staying overnight in hotels, and being able to work 8-12 hours a day, when required.
As a Certified Engineering Technologist you will use you use your interpersonal, organizational, and time management skills to successfully execute projects. It is expected that you will be driven to continually improve upon the customer experience and will be enthusiastic and positive about learning new ways to better business.
In this position, you are required to responsible, self-motivated, detailed oriented, and a good communicator. Additionally, as a Certified Engineering Technologist you are required to provide excellent customer service and perform your duties in a busy environment.
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
About M2 Engineering
M2 Engineering is an Alberta-based consulting engineering firm that provides municipal and private industry engineering services for water, wastewater, and reuse water infrastructure. M2 has experienced tremendous growth by providing water/wastewater solutions in a reliable, safe and environmentally responsible way. Our projects are successful because we focus on our staff and treat clients the way we want to be treated. We understand the drivers and motivators of our employees and allow them to build a successful career that best suits them personally and professionally. This focus on clients and employees was one of the key reasons that Jackie and Nathan started M2 Engineering in 2015.
Our goal at M2 Engineering is to provide an exceptional client experience. Our team strives to be more in tune with our customer’s needs, satisfaction and concerns, allowing us to maintain a personal touch with our clients and projects.
You are more than just an employee at M2 Engineering. You are part of a team that works hard, plays hard, and makes a difference in our community. We offer a very competitive compensation package, and we not only reward you financially, but give you challenging assignments and a supportive work environment which promotes your personal and professional growth.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Strong desire to learn, take on challenges and grow your career
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Active in seeking further knowledge and personal development
- Excellent active listening skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Independent work ethic
- Be punctual and prepared for work, meetings, client visits, etc.
- Excellent word processing skills
- Excellent excel processing skills
- Proficient with PowerPoint, Visio, Microsoft Project, Outlook, PDF programs
Budget and Schedule
- Consistently deliver work on budget
- Self manage deadlines and hours
- Proactively forecast one’s own budget
- Adapts approach for project size and budget
Quality of Work
- Understands, follows, and promotes the company’s quality management plan
- Understands and utilizes company templates for document production
Computer Aided Design (CAD)
- Computer aided design skills for preparation of sketches, figures, P&IDs, and engineering detailed design drawings
- Proficient with Autodesk AutoCAD for design in both 2D and 3D environments. Our engineering design drawing sets are inclusive of multiple disciplines (civil, architectural, structural, process, HVAC/Plumbing, and electrical and controls) and are published in a 2D format.
- Proficient in file organization and file management to ensure projects are not only delivered but are also well organized electronically.
- Design water and wastewater systems including equipment selection and sizing
- Prepare design drawings, including process flow diagrams, process piping and instrumentation diagrams, and equipment layouts
- Coordinate with engineering team and drafting team to develop detailed design drawings
- Coordinate multi-discipline drafting teams / sub-consultants
- Develop engineering drawings and engineering details
- Develop technical specifications
- Assist with operating water system pilot programs
Construction Contract Administration & Activities
- Assist project managers / engineers with the bid / tender process for construction projects
- Complete construction management activities, such as reviewing budgets, schedules, shop drawings, request for information enquiries, contractor progress claims, material performance test reports, etc.
- Complete construction field reviews and progress reports
- Assist with the commissioning of water / wastewater infrastructure
- Work closely with our project manager and engineering team to successfully execute construction projects.
- Review, understand and interpret construction Contract Documents, Drawings, and Specifications.
- Act as the liaison between our engineering office, the construction contractor, and our clients.
- Coordinate the exchange of communication between the project manager, engineering team, contractor, sub-contractors, suppliers, and clients.
- Review contractor progress claims, including material and quantity reports, and provide support to the project manager in preparation of progress payment certificates for construction projects.
- Review the contractor’s construction schedule monthly and assist in schedule updates and planning throughout the life of the project.
- Coordinate Request for Information (RFI) responses, including the receipt, review, and discussions with the multi-discipline design team if required.
- Coordinate the progress of Shop Drawing Reviews with our administration and engineering staff.
- Conduct field engineering review site visits to review if construction work generally conforms to the project drawings and specifications.
- Prepare daily / weekly / monthly site visit reports to document progress of construction activities, site issues, and potential design conflicts.
- Provide full-time onsite field review services on select projects, throughout the duration of construction.
- Provide proactive construction management services and attempt to anticipate design and construction conflicts in advance, and work with all parties to propose solutions to resolve conflicts and issues.
- Review if the contractor’s work generally conforms to the quality assurance and quality control requirements of the construction contract.
- Coordinate field survey and materials testing requirements with the construction contractor.
- Review performance / results of material testing reports provided by the contractor.
- Prepare and maintain a photographic journal of construction projects in electronic format complete with titles, dates, and descriptions on each photo.
The Certified Process Engineering Technologist (C.E.T.) position requires candidates with the following qualifications:
- Candidate must hold a valid Diploma from an accredited technical institution in Engineering Technology.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in consulting engineering, preferably in water and wastewater areas of practice.
- Must be in good standing with ASET as a registered Certified Engineering Technologist (C.E.T.).
- Possess a valid Class 5 driver’s licence.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: $60,000.00-$75,000.00 per year
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Paid time off
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- AutoCAD 3D: 2 years (required)
- Alberta: 2 years (required)
- field: 2 years (required)
Willingness to travel:
Work Location: In person