What is the opportunity?
Based in Edmonton, the Junior Designer, will be involved in new and existing buildings projects and assist in maintaining a high level of service for the Structural practice at Entuitive. This will entail working closely with the other service groups in the firm to ensure consistent, consolidated and leading-edge service delivery. This position will primarily be responsible for assessment of existing buildings as well as structural analysis/design and will also offer the opportunity for growth into both office and field responsibilities. You will be working collaboratively with the project team from initial evaluation through to construction completion. We would like to supplement our existing team with a self-motivated individual, with leadership skills and a desire to work in a collaborative team environment.
What will you do?
The role includes the following general tasks:
- A mix of field and office work
Office work typically includes
- Writing reports subsequent to field work
- Computer aided analysis and design of structures both new and existing
- Preparation of detailed structural design including calculations complying with Canadian Codes and Standards, specifications, drawings and sketches
- Generation of tender packages for pricing by a contractor
- Working with the project team from initial evaluation through design to construction completion
- Review of submittals and shop drawings during construction
- Generation of contract administration documentation and assisting with contract administration duties throughout construction
Field work typically includes
- Site visits to review proposed changes to existing structures
- Investigation and assessments of existing structural systems for buildings
- Site measurement of existing building for the purposes of analysis and reinforcement.
- Attendance at construction progress meetings
- Completion of periodic field review during construction
- Actively participate in learning, reinforcing and contributing to Entuitive's one-company philosophy.
- Participate in the delivery of a consistently high level of service.
- Internal roles to establish our technical standards and design tools.
- Such other duties and responsibilities as Entuitive may assign to you from time to time.
What do you need to succeed?
- An applicable degree or diploma from an accredited school.
- 1-4 years of related experience
- Previous design experience, hands on construction experience and/or work with existing facilities is considered an asset
- Strong communication skills both verbal and written with the ability to work with people at all levels including project stakeholders and clients
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities and deliverables on an ongoing basis
- Working knowledge of construction materials and products used in building construction, with a focus on concrete, steel, and wood
- Interest in applying new technology to support project processes
- Must have a working knowledge and ability to use programs such as SAP, Bluebeam, woodworks, and various Office programs
- Must have a valid driver's license and access to a reliable vehicle and maintain throughout employment.
Flexible working hours.
- A hybrid work in the office/work from home model.
- Commitment to staff growth through mentoring and training.
- Competitive benefits package.
We are a group of engineers, designers, technologists, and city-building experts delivering uncompromising performance through a comprehensive range of services for the built environment. Our culture and commitment enable us to achieve progressive solutions to the most complex challenges. We are purpose-led and passion-fueled.
Founded in 2011 and backed by decades of experience, we take design performance further through our collaboration with clients in North America and abroad, including architects, developers, building owners, managers, and construction professionals.
Our practice encompasses integrated structural engineering, building envelope services, sustainable building consulting and planning, special projects and renovations, energy and carbon performance, fire and pedestrian modelling, restoration, bridge design and rehabilitation, construction engineering, and transportation for new and existing structures and communities.
We are deeply committed to fostering an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment where all employees and clients feel valued, respected, and supported. Entuitive will ensure that reasonable accommodations are made to persons with disabilities during the recruitment and assessment processes.