SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Airdyne has an immediate opening for a Chief Engineer to provide direction and mentorship to the site engineering activities of the organization with the objective of maximizing growth and profitability.
The Chief Engineer will perform duties to support design, analysis, integration, and new product engineering solutions. Shall represent Engineering through participation and communication with other Departments and the Deputy to the Chief Technology Officer (CTO)
This position requires outstanding technical communication skills with all engineering staff and the ability to communicate and interchange ideas and knowledge effectively with all departments at Airdyne as well as customers.
This position will require travel to support company or customer requirements, which may include installation, training and testing anywhere in the world.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Coordinates the engineering team, assigning short- and long-term goals for successful completion of the project’s plans.
· Provides detailed technical guidance, mentoring and oversight of a team of professional engineers and technicians.
· Provides detailed airworthiness direction to all engineering personnel and approves type design data.
· Can delegate approval authority but is ultimately responsible for overall design compliance.
· Supports engineering management in personnel administration, by developing technical training goals and coordination of engineering teams to achieve the same.
· Assigns the technical capabilities/roles of a project to appropriate capable staff members.
· Oversees policies, procedures, protocols and controls that govern all analysis and design.
· Consultation in and approval of standards to ensure that the type design is created to and in compliance with the design, mission and airworthiness requirements.
· Ensures technical procedures and processes within the engineering department are followed.
· Support the recruiting of employees via dissemination of resource technical requirements to management.
· Assign, direct, and evaluate work; and oversee the development and maintenance of staff competence in conjunction with the requirements of the engineering department.
· Sets goals and objectives: short-term and long-term for regular staff technical development and guidance.
· Oversees preparation of design, test, evaluation and analysis data, for all engineering processes.
· Professional communication of information to parties in person, over the phone, via email and via postal correspondence.
· Mentor to maintain excellent communication (written, verbal, and presentation), when dealing with customers, management, technical staff, and internal / external organizations
· Select 3rd party engineering contractors.
· Minimum education of a bachelor’s degree in Aeronautical engineering with credentials.
· Min 15 – max 25 years of direct Engineering experience, in the spacecraft or aerospace industry, with project ownership.
· 10 years working experience with classical hand analysis methods. E.g., Possess in-depth knowledge of and applicable experience with aircraft structural analysis methods, including hand calculation experience for using resources such as MMPDS, Bruhn, Roark, etc.,
· 10 years working experience with design work starting at the conceptual level, maturing into full 3D modeling, validation with FEA analysis and hand calculations, and continuing into manufacturing.
· 10 years working experience with the fatigue analysis of mechanical and electronic components. System and component level static, vibration, acoustic, modal, shock test experience with aerospace flight hardware.
· 5-7 years working experience with regulatory (i.e., FAA / TCA / JAA and/or military) issues related to aircraft design and analysis and their impact on conformity and compliance is required (i.e., certification, qualification).
· Must be able to perform and train personnel in detailed methods of analysis of primary and secondary structure and mechanical systems.
· Must be able to independently develop technical solutions to a wide range of difficult problems with solutions that are imaginative, thorough, and practicable and consistent with organization objectives.
· Must be able to evaluate detailed 3D designs, CAD drawings and other related documents.
· Must be able to plan and organize time to work productively and efficiently while being able to adjust to multiple demands.
· Must provide evidence of proficiency in performing advanced stress analysis capability using NASTRAN and finite element modeling.
· Excellent teaming and communication skills required.
· Experience in technical report writing and must have excellent communication skills, be fluent in English (spoken and written) and proficient in MS Word, MS Excel, MS Teams.
· Experience testing aerospace components/assemblies to validate conformance.
· 10 years working experience with detailed FEA methods and/or NASTRAN (FEMAP) finite element modeling.
· Experience with composites (fiberglass/carbon fiber), and honeycomb and solid laminate construction.
· Experience with fracture mechanics.
· Delegation with government regulatory bodies like Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) or the like and understand the impact on conformity and compliance (i.e., certification, qualification).
· Design experience with sensors (optical/RF/Radar), avionics, and other complex kinematic systems.
· Working knowledge of applicable manufacturing processes such as machining, finishing, and rapid prototyping.
· Experience using test instrumentation and control components (e.g., pressure transducers, thermocouples, relays, solenoid valves, etc.) Providing test input/instrumentation data to personnel and collaborating with engineering personnel to interpret/correlate test results.
· Understanding and incorporating other applicable mechanical (thermal, materials, etc.) and system level requirements/parameters into the stress analyses.
ELIGIBILITY OF APPLICANTS:
Candidates for this position must conform to Canadian Controlled Goods Regulations. Candidates must be a Canadian citizen, lawful permanent resident of Canada.
Candidates for this position must have nothing in their background that precludes international travel and/or access to any military/Government installation.
REMOTE OR ONSITE: Onsite
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $100,000.00 per year
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends as needed
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Calgary, AB: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Bachelor's Degree (required)
- Aeronautical Engneering: 10 years (required)
- Technical report writing: 5 years (required)
- CAD Software (SolidWorks): 5 years (preferred)
- Independently develop technical solutions: 10 years (required)
- Classical hand stress analysis: 10 years (required)
- NASTRAN and finite element modeling.: 10 years (required)
- FAA and/or military compliance & certification: 5 years (required)
- structural and fatigue analysis: 10 years (required)
- Leadership: 10 years (required)
- Train personnel in detailed methods of analysis: 5 years (required)
- Canadian passport (required)
Willingness to travel:
Work Location: In person