Southlake is building healthy communities through outstanding care, innovative partnerships, and amazing people. We deliver a wide range of healthcare services to the communities of northern York Region and southern Simcoe County. Our advanced regional programs include Cancer Care and Cardiac Care and serve a broader population across the northern GTA and into Simcoe-Muskoka.
Our team of nearly 6,000 staff, physicians, volunteers, students and Patient and Family Advisors are committed to creating an environment where the best experiences happen. As a recognition of our commitment to quality and patient safety, we have received the highest distinction of Exemplary Standing from Accreditation Canada.
The Clinical Extern Program is a Ministry of Health initiative operating until March 31, 2024
The Clinical Extern (OT/PT) position is an opportunity for Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy students in their 1st or 2nd year of an accredited Occupational Therapy or Physiotherapy program.
The Clinical Extern (OT/PT) will participate as a member of the health care team in supporting direct patient care and clinical unit support. The Extern is considered a valuable member of the healthcare team. As unregulated health care providers, the Extern will collaborate with members of the inter-professional teams within the hospital.
- OT or PT students enrolled in an accredited Occupational Therapy or Physiotherapy program
- Demonstrated evidence of excellent academic standing
- Successful completion of a recent clinical placement preferred
- Current Basic Rescuer Certificate in Basic Cardiac Life Support
- Recent patient care experience preferred
- Demonstrates excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize workload
- Demonstrates understanding of infection prevention and control practices
- Demonstrates conflict resolution skills
- Demonstrates computer literacy
- Demonstrated excellence in communication, both written and verbal
- Demonstrated problem assessment skills
- Demonstrated commitment to customer service and teamwork
- Demonstrated individual leadership skills
- Demonstrates understanding and complies with patient and staff safety policies and procedures that foster a safe and inclusive environment for all
- Commitment to providing an exceptional experience for staff and clients within a challenging and exciting health care environment
- Models behaviour that is aligned with the values of Southlake Regional Health Centre
As a condition of employment, you are required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination to the Hospital’s Occupational Health and Safety department. Successful candidates will be required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination (two doses) from the Ontario Ministry of Health website or other authorized source directly to the Occupational Health and Safety department. In the event that you are unable to be vaccinated as a result of a ground protected under the Human Rights Code, you may submit a written explanation of the ground and any supporting documentation to determine if you are exempt from this requirement to the recruitment team. A recruitment representative may follow up with you for further information if necessary.
At Southlake, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live and serve, including those with disabilities. Southlake is committed to providing accommodations in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
It is the responsibility of all Southlake employees to work in a safe manner and promote health and safety in the workplace.
- Participate as a conduit to enhance communication between family members and health care team.
- Responsible for on-going communication with the assigned Occupational Therapist (OT) or Physiotherapist (PT).
- Work with the supervising OT or PT to ensure they have the knowledge, skills, and judgement needed to perform all actions/duties, under direct or indirect supervision, such as assisting with ambulation, assisting with treatments activities of daily living (bathing, toileting, dressing, feeding).
- Assist with maintaining a clean, tidy environment, free of hazards.
- Document care provided on the appropriate forms/electronic health record.
- Participate in the completion of relevant reports/forms as required by hospital policy.
- Participate as a member of the health care team and fosters relationships/partnerships with other departments within the hospital.
- Interact with patients.
- Maintain dignity and self-esteem of patients in delivery of care
- Uphold patient privacy and confidentiality as per hospital policy
- Practice behaviors consistent with Southlake’s Code of Conduct