Beacon Pharmacy is a wholly owned subsidiary of Calgary Co-op and is looking for a Pharmacist to join the team. Calgary Co-op, owned by members, is one of the largest retail co-operatives in North America. Our locations in Calgary, Airdrie, Cochrane, High River, Okotoks and Strathmore include food centres, pharmacies, gas stations, car washes, commercial cardlocks, home health care centres, wine, spirits and beer locations, and cannabis and acquired Community Natural Foods in 2019.
What the job entails (overview)
This is your opportunity to provide leadership that embraces a culture that promotes a passion for customer service, teamwork and continuous improvement as well as ensuring the delivery of exceptional customers service experiences for our members and customers of Beacon Pharmacy. The Pharmacist position plays an essential role in the quality and safety of our patients’ medications. You will report to the Pharmacy Manager and will be responsible for filling prescriptions and following the proper billing procedures. You will be providing information while maintaining confidentiality to customers as patients and consumers in general and specific terms, and you will be responsible for those Pharmacy Department managerial duties assigned.
Where you’ll be focusing (your day to day):
Patient Care & Customer service:
- Personally fill prescriptions including but not limited to, evaluating prescriptions for appropriateness, maintaining records as per the guideline of the Alberta Pharmaceutical Association and Beacon Pharmacy, consulting with Physicians or other valid Practitioners where clarification is needed, and practice a high level of pharmaceutical care.
- Routine and regular administration of injections and vaccinations.
- Provide information and patient-orientated advice to customers concerning the proper use of prescription medication, as well as over-the-counter or self medication products.
Be aware and informed of Beacon Pharmacy contracts, customer care and service standards, policies and procedures, and practices while maintaining a high level of security.
- Be familiar with all merchandise carried in the department, as well as be aware of new products and trends pertaining to the pharmaceutical and retail pharmacy industry.
- Supervise and assist in the processes of perpetual inventory (receiving and selling), ordering of prescription and dispensary, products, and other over-the-counter products.
- Maintain prescription product inventories and levels which are consistent with budgeted inventory management targets while meeting the customer requirements to maximize sales and customer satisfaction.
- Supervise pharmacy technicians according to the applicable rules and regulations.
Be aware of and abide by government and professional regulations, as well as Beacon Pharmacy policies in regard to control, safekeeping, and sale of pharmaceuticals, including return and/or disposal of outdated dispensary stock.
- Assist in department operating objectives, preparation of reports, compiling statistics, processing invoices, preparing claims, and preparing Business Plans and Budgets.
- Participate with the yearend performance review and development action plan.
Assist in the proper care and maintenance of equipment and be responsible for the general housekeeping and appearance of the department when not occupied with the delivery of pharmaceutical care
What you will need (Requirements):
- Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy (BSc. Pharm)
- Licensed and registered with Alberta College of Pharmacists
- Superior patient relations with a strong sense of professionalism
- Authorization to Administer Medications by Injection
- Previous retail pharmacy experience (desirable)
MANDATORY COURSES REQUIRED FOR POSITION:
Additional Prescribing Authorization (APA) - Pharmacists working in the dispensary must obtain APA designation within one year of effective start date as a Pharmacist. New grads will have two years to obtain their APA designation.
Calgary Co-op takes pride in providing more than just an attractive compensation and benefits plan, as well as an industry leading pension plan and recognition program.
- A competitive total compensation package that includes incentive plan
- We offer a comprehensive benefits program including:
Medical, dental, prescription drug, and vision coverage for you and your family
- Pension plan after 1 – 2 years
- Employee Discount Program
- Ongoing In-House Training & Education Courses
- Employee career development assistance Program
- Employee Recognition Program
- Community involvement opportunities
Flexible work life arrangements to meet your lifestyle needs
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those applicants considered for an interview will be contacted.