Are you a licensed Nurse Practitioner who is experienced with prescribing medical cannabis? Are you interested in research and passionate about advancing medical outcomes for patients?
Would you like to be part of a dynamic, compassionate, and professional team that is compassionate and dedicated to providing best-in-class patient care and education?
If so, keep reading to learn about an exciting new opportunity to join VIVO Cannabis’ clinic network Harvest Medicine on our journey to transform lives through plant-based medicine, improve access to medical cannabis and advance patient outcomes while empowering our patients through education, support, and guidance along the medical cannabis journey.
Harvest Medicine is seeking NPs licensed to practice within any Canadian province but in particular, those licensed to practice in the province of Alberta. If you are not licensed to practice in Alberta but are willing to be, Harvest Medicine will pay for your licensing.
As a successful Nurse Practitioner candidate, you will work in tandem with a healthcare team including trained cannabis educators. The purpose is to provide cannabinoid therapy education and access to medical cannabis to patients with conditions that have not been adequately managed with conventional treatments. As a Nurse Practitioner with Harvest Medicine, you will be an attentive listener with excellent communication skills, have an ability to effectively listen to your patients while you document using clinical judgement after reviewing the medical/social history to determine whether the patient is a good candidate to try medical cannabis.
- Review patient’s complete medical history including current and previous medications.
- Provide consultations to patients to assess suitability of medical cannabis, discuss treatment goals, make general product and dosing recommendations and complete medical cannabis authorization documents, if needed.
- Determine the need for follow-up appointments and further treatment options.
- Update electronic health records and check patient records for accuracy at each patient appointment.
- Work in collaboration with the interprofessional team to provide primary health care to manage the needs of the patients.
- Deliver quality care while maintaining all company metrics pertaining to productivity.
- Demonstrate knowledge and an ability to use available prescription monitoring systems and patient database.
- Maintain confidentiality and act in an ethical manner, consistent with professional standards and patient privacy obligations.
- Maintain clinical knowledge in medical cannabis and currency with legislation affecting practice.
- Demonstrate knowledge of evidence-based guidelines, legislation, regulation, and organizational policies when prescribing or dispensing controlled drugs and substances (CDS).
- Demonstrate an understanding of best practices related to the use of CDS and of other pharmacological and non-pharmacological therapeutic options.
Qualifications and Skills
- Completed Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree (BSN)
- Completed Nursing Practitioner’s Degree (NP); registered and in good standing with the local College of Nurses.
- Completed one of the following three courses, approved by the College of Nurses in your province of registration:
- Prescription and Management of Controlled Drugs and Substances course.
- Prescribing Narcotics and Controlled Substances course offered through; and
- Controlled Drugs and Substances: Essential Management and Prescribing
- Eligible to authorize medical cannabis in the designated province of practice.
- Eligible to prescribe controlled substances.
- Must be accepting of cannabinoid-based treatments as adjunctive symptom management.
- Licensed to practice and registered with the College of Nurses is mandatory; membership in local nursing association is ideal.
- Proof of professional liability insurance is required.
- Practical experience working with veterans, first responders, workers compensation, and post-surgical clients is considered an asset.
- Experience with Input Health EMR software and direct billing is an asset.
- Must maintain accurate and thorough patient records to document treatment plans and track progress; any additional interest in clinical research is an asset.
- Competency with Windows and Mac operating systems
- Experience offering virtual care through telemedicine is preferred.
- Excellent communication and listening skills, oral and written English required.
- Comfort with medical cannabis and knowledge of medical cannabis and/or cannabinoid therapy is an asset but not required as substantial training will be provided.
- Strong verbal, interpersonal, collaborative, problem-solving and conflict resolution skills
- Strong organizational skills; ability to efficiently manage time and competing priorities.
- Ability to thrive & succeed in a fast-paced growth environment
- Good computer/tech skills; proficiency in Excel, Microsoft 365 applications an asset
Job Types: Part-time, Full-time
Work Location: Remote