Discover your full potential. At Tetra Tech, we are collaborating with industry-leading experts for a sustainable future for our world. We combine consulting and engineering with advanced analytics and technology to solve the world's most complex challenges. Our innovation hubs across the globe will enable you to share ideas and best practices while growing your professional network. Wherever you are in your career journey, you will benefit from working with world-class engineers, scientists, and technical specialists.
Tetra Tech combines the resources of a global, multibillion-dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in more than 550 locations around the world. Our reputation rests on the technical expertise and dedication of our employees — 27,000 associates working together to provide smart, scalable solutions for challenging projects. We are proud to be home to leading technical experts in water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development.
Apply today and join the company that is Leading with Science®.
Tetra Tech is currently seeking a Geotechnical Engineer to work with our ice engineering team as part of our regional Arctic Engineering Group. Ice engineering is an industry that is experiencing substantial growth and generating numerous opportunities across the North. It includes engineering for load-bearing scenarios on freshwater ice, but can also include other frozen materials, such as tailings or muskeg. The successful candidate will work on ice engineering projects during ice season and will have the opportunity to work on other engineering projects in the summer months.
We recognize that many candidates will not have direct experience with ice engineering or ice construction. What is important is that the individual has strong practical skills and is ready to take on a new challenge with a knowledgeable and supportive team. We view this hire as a long-term investment and are looking for a strong candidate who is dedicated to establishing a position with our team and developing a specialization in ice engineering. The ice engineering team is based out of Edmonton, however alternative work arrangements are available for suitable candidates.
Tetra Tech is an industry leader in the field of ice engineering and has decades of experience providing client solutions in this growing field of practice. We have played a key role in developing several best practice guidelines, including Alberta’s “Best Practice for Building and Working Safely on Ice Covers in Alberta” and the Transportation Association of Canada’s “Guidelines for the Construction and Operation of Winter Roads.” Tetra Tech’s ice engineering team was responsible for safe ice operations in movies such as “The Ice Road” and the first season of the TV show “Ice Road Truckers”.
Services are focused on load-bearing scenarios such as winter roads and ice bridges, ice pad design for stationary loads, frozen tailings, and other floating, frozen cover applications. There can also be opportunities to participate in research and development projects, based on client and industry needs.
Ice season is generally from November to April. Proposals and design work are common in November and December. January to April involves frequent fieldwork to support ice construction and operations. Summer work is flexible and depends on the expertise of the successful candidate. Work locations are typically in the Northwest Territories, Nunavut, the prairie provinces, and Northern Quebec and Ontario.
Some of the Responsibilities you may have:
- Developing sound technical solutions to assist in the design, construction, and evaluation of challenging ice enginFGTeering and frozen cover applications.
- Field work at a variety of remote sites to learn the principles of safe on-ice operations, ice construction, and ice loading.
- (Eventually) supervising and mentoring junior staff members.
- Communicating with coworkers, clients, and contractors.
- Representing Tetra Tech as a leading industry expert when interfacing with our clients.
Qualifications that would make you a great candidate:
- Minimum of a Bachelor's degree in engineering
- More than five years of practical experience including both fieldwork and office work, preferably in a consulting environment.
- Experience managing contractors and overseeing construction is an asset
- Ice engineering experience is an asset but is not required
- Experience with 2D or 3D modelling is an asset but is not a requirement
- Registered as a Professional Engineer in Western or Northern Canada or eligible for registration
- Legally entitled to work in Canada without sponsorship
- Valid Class 5 driver's license
- Willingness to learn and take initiative
- Positive attitude and sense of adventure
- Personable and experienced in communicating and collaborating with people of varying educational and technical backgrounds
What makes Tetra Tech a great place to work:
- Benefits starting day one of employment. Competitive base salary.
- Eligible for overtime (calculated at 1.5 times) that can be banked or paid out, whatever you prefer. Some of our employees work a lot of hours during the busy times and then take extended time off.
- Hybrid work options when you are not in the field. We'll provide the technology for you to work remotely.
- Tetra Tech employs industry leading technical specialists across all environmental disciplines which promotes a strong mentorship environment and opportunity for technical growth.
- Tetra Tech supports life-long learning and provides an annual allowance for educational opportunities.
- You will be working with an amazing, very supportive team that takes a great amount of pride in our reputation and the phenomenal customer service we are known for.
- Tetra Tech is a global company with over 27,000 employees worldwide. By joining this team, you have access to this network of professionals, experience, opportunities, and corporate benefits (e.g., corporate discounts, stock purchase plan).
- Opportunity for advancement within our environmental group and within Tetra Tech globally.
A requirement of working for Tetra Tech is that you are at least 18 years of age and legally entitled to work in Canada without sponsorship. (A copy of a valid work permit may be required.)
To meet the physical demands required of some positions, candidates must be in good physical condition and willing to work in all weather conditions. Clearance on pre-placement medical and drug and alcohol testing may be required but will be explained during the recruitment process if they are necessary. As this position may be serving clients that have vaccination requirements for site access, we may be confirming your eligibility to comply with this requirement.
We offer a great place to work, and an engaging culture that is based on innovation, collaboration and integrity. Our compensation plan includes a competitive hourly rate and excellent opportunities for growth and advancement.
About Tetra Tech:
Tetra Tech combines the resources of a global, multibillion-dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in more than 550 locations around the world. Our reputation rests on the technical expertise and dedication of our employees—27,000 associates working together to provide smart, scalable solutions for challenging projects. We are proud to be home to leading technical experts in water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development.
Explore our open positions at https://www.tetratech.com/careers. Follow us on social media to learn more about our people, culture, and opportunities:
Tetra Tech is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Diversity, inclusion, and equity are among Tetra Tech’s core values. Throughout our history, the company has prioritized equitable inclusion of all people. All qualified candidates will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, military or veteran status, gender, age, disabilities, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, genetic information and any other characteristics protected by the law. We invite resumes from all interested parties, including women; First Nations Metis and Inuit persons; members of visible minority groups; and persons with disabilities. Please visit our website at www.tetratech.com to see the array of diverse services and exciting projects we are currently working on.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Please no phone calls or agencies.