Req ID: 165348
Company: Nova Scotia Health
Location: Western Zone, South Shore Regional Hospital
Department: PHAR Pharmacy SSRH
Type of Employment: Permanent Hourly FT (100% FTE) x 1 position(s)
Status: CUPE Healthcare Position
Posting Closing Date: 27-Oct-23
Nova Scotia Health is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia, with some specialized services also offered to clients throughout Atlantic Canada. We’re on a mission to achieve excellence in health, healing and learning through working together, which is reflected in the hospitals, health centres and community-based programs we operate across the province. Our passionate team of professionals provides a variety of high-quality inpatient and outpatient services including academic, tertiary, and quaternary care, as well as continuing care, primary health care, public health, and mental health and addictions. Join a diverse team of innovators, collaborators and creative thinkers today.
Nova Scotia Health employs professionals in all corners of our beautiful province. We believe there's a place here for everyone to call home, from vibrant cities with exuberant nightlife to quaint towns with picturesque trails. The work-life balance that comes with a Nova Scotia Health role means you'll have the time to explore, discover, and participate in that coveted Atlantic lifestyle. Visit us today and check out www.novascotia.com to see why more people from across the globe are moving here.
Reporting to the Pharmacy Manager, the Registered Pharmacy Technician for Oncology/Surgery/Research assists patients in coordinating coverage for various prescription medications. This includes guiding staff and patients through forms for insurers, Pharmacare programs, and pharmaceutical-sponsored Patient Assistance Programs. Working with the other Registered Pharmacy Technicians, responsibilities include meeting with patients, consulting with physicians and nursing staff, tracking Special Authorization requests, liaising with community pharmacies, insurers, patient assistance programs and pharmacare by phone, managing and tracking compassionate/sample stock, and managing data.
We would love to hear from you if you have the following:
- Graduate of an accredited Pharmacy Technician Program
- Licensure and registration in Nova Scotia as a Pharmacy Technician (NSCP) required
If there are no candidates who meet the above qualification, candidates actively pursuing Pharmacy Technician licensure within the Province of Nova scotia will be considered
If there are no candidates who meet the above qualification, Pharmacy Practice Assistants may be considered
- Drug administration by injection technical permit (Pharmacy Technician) an asset
- Experience as a pharmacy technician/pharmacy practice assistant, preferably in a hospital, an asset
- Knowledge of sterile technique and special precautions used with chemotherapy are an asset
- Experience in unit dose drug distribution systems, automation technology, decentralized medication dispensing cabinets, an asset
- Knowledge of medical terminology, inventory control and record keeping
- Demonstrated good decision making and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to perform mathematical calculations related to medications
- Knowledge of the law and regulations pertaining to the receipt, storage and distribution of prescription and narcotic drugs
- Basic typing skills or computer/keyboard experience; skills in Microsoft Office Suite, Excel, etc.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred
Please ensure your resume is up to date and includes all relevant education, experience, training, and certifications.
- Permanent / 100% FTE / 75 Hours Bi-weekly
Registered Technician: $24.84 - $27.56 Hourly
(Pharmacy Practice Assistants: $23.07 - $26.14)
Successful candidates may be eligible for our benefits package which includes health, dental, travel, long-term disability, and life insurance coverage as well as a defined benefit pension plan.
$$ - Registered technicians may be eligible for a signing/relocation bonus if they are successful.
Once You've Applied
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
This is a Healthcare bargaining unit position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions. Employees are encouraged to view their seniority hours and dates in their SuccessFactors online profile. Successful applicants changing unions, bargaining units or employment status, are advised to seek clarification regarding their seniority, benefits, and vacation entitlement and/or usage, prior to accepting the position.
Preferred candidates must be able to demonstrate proof of primary series of COVID -19 vaccine at time of hire.
Nova Scotia Health is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. We encourage all qualified applicants who self-identify as Indigenous, Black/African Nova Scotian, Persons of Colour, Foreign Nationals/Newcomers, Persons with Disabilities, 2SLGBTQIA+ to apply and self-identify.