Pembina Hills School Division (PHSD) is currently seeking a Student and Family Advocate (Social Worker) 0.80 FTE to support the social and emotional needs of students and families. This position is funded through the Mental Health in School Pilot Program until December 2024.
The successful candidate will join a team of Student and Family Advocates. These positions provide support to multiple schools within the district. The Student and Family Advocate will assist in bringing insight and supported solutions to create an environment in which a student can be successful; achieve open communication and consistency between home and school; and support a holistic approach to student success. The position will provide professional social work services to students, parents and school staff including: counseling, educational interventions, community resource information and referral, crisis intervention, threat assessment, attendance, consultations and program development. This assignment includes students and families experiencing emotional, behavioural and developmental struggles. The successful candidate will work directly with clients in the home, school or community to assess needs, set goals, and plan appropriate support and intervention strategies.
Working with school teams within a consultative and collaborative model duties may include:
- Delivering a continuum of services that includes consultation, and targeted intervention with student and families. This may include individual/group counselling and parent coaching
- Advocate for students’ needs with teachers, administrators, parents and other professionals
- Serves as a liaison between home and school and provides feedback to all parties concerning attendance and academic performance by providing information and support to enable parents to participate in their child’s education
- Help to provide a voice for parents in supporting communication with school staff
- Identifying strengths in families and goals to work towards collectively
- Provide comprehensive risk assessment, develop safety plans and ensure follow-up care for students that experience suicidal ideations and other self-harming behaviors
- Working as part of a multidisciplinary team to help meet the educational, social, emotional and communication needs of students
- Referral and navigation of community resources and advocacy for student and family needs
- Providing professional development for staff
- Providing mental wellness presentations to students
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, combined with extensive practical experience.
- Registration with the Alberta College of Social Workers.
- The preferred candidate will have extensive training and experience in counselling, and preferably knowledge of Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT), solution focused therapy and working with students who have been exposed to trauma.
- Experience and knowledge regarding student attendance is an asset.
For further information, please contact:
Rob McGarva (Director of Student Services) at 780-674-8506
This competition will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
There are inherent risks in the work employees do throughout Pembina Hills School Division (PHSD). All staff are to be prepared to satisfactorily manage the inherent risks encountered in their work. PHSD staff are responsible for advising their Supervisors of unknown risks encountered relating directly to their work. Staff are expected to cooperate in ensuring workplace health and safety in a caring and respectful educational setting.
- Your resume should include a list of references with permission for Pembina Hills School Division to contact any or all references.
- Original Criminal Record Check including Vulnerable Sector (dated within one year) must be provided prior to employment.
- Original Intervention Record Check (dated within one year) – issued by Child & Family Services Authority must be provided prior to employment.
- Verification of Education and relative experience is required.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those shortlisted will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Vision care
Work Location: In person