Waypoints’ is a registered, non-profit charity that has been operating in Fort McMurray since 1982. Waypoints offers facilities, programs and services for people that have experienced or are experiencing domestic violence and/or abuse, sexual assault and/or abuse, homelessness, and counselling services to the Wood Buffalo region. Waypoints’ also provides the region with public awareness events, initiatives and educational programs to increase the prevention of violence, abuse and homelessness within the Wood Buffalo region. Waypoints operates Unity House, an Emergency Women and Children's Shelter, the Opportunities for Change Centre, The Sexual Assault and Abuse Healing Centre, and The Compass, home of our Second Stage Shelter for women and children in need of transitional housing, as well as affordable housing.
Waypoints’ Outreach Program is responsible for providing counselling, support, education, and awareness throughout all communities within the Wood Buffalo region.
- Full-time, Monday to Friday (37.5 hours per week).
- Some evenings and weekends with ability to flex hours.
- Extensive travel within the RMWB is required, including via small plane.
- Rate of pay is $49.85/hour (COLA included). Annual rate is $97,207.50* (including COLA).
*Successful candidate will receive 90% of wage until proof of Registration with professional Alberta body is provided.
The Outreach Counsellor will provide culturally appropriate, inclusive and flexible treatment and, at times, case management services to individuals that are referred to the Outreach Program. This position will support individuals within the Region, including Fort McMurray, Fort McKay, Fort Chipewyan, Anzac, Janvier and Conklin. The Outreach Counsellor will not only provide clients with one-on-one counselling supports but will facilitate group therapy sessions, build capacity and collaborative relationships throughout the region. It is imperative that this role operate from both a trauma informed and an Indigenous informed framework. This role will be required at times, to assist in the facilitation of public education and capacity building efforts throughout the region.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide therapeutic counselling to referred individuals (includes self-referrals) through individual or group sessions.
- Complete safety plans, danger assessments and other necessary assessments to help maintain client safety and guide client-management.
- Maintain accurate statistical information, prepare and submit monthly program reports as required. (e.g., incident reports, case notes, number of clients served, client letters, monthly reports to Manager, etc.).
- Collaborate and communicate regularly with Outreach Team and other departments to provide effective and holistic services to clients.
- Participate in regular Peer Supervision Processes.
Assist as needed in the planning and execution of organizational awareness events.
- Assist as needed in the co-facilitation of community presentations on as part of Waypoints’ awareness and prevention efforts.
Foster connections in the Region with service providers, RCMP, Athabasca Tribal Council, school districts, etc. to ensure the best possible service delivery for clients.
- Represent Waypoints in a professional manner throughout the Region.
- Master’s Degree in Psychology, Social Work, Education, etc.
- Must be registered and in good standing with an Alberta or recognized governing, professional body.
- Experience working with Indigenous populations.
- Minimum 2 years’ career experience providing counselling services.
- Must have high degree of knowledge in the areas of complex and multifaceted issues
Experience facilitating group programming.
- Must have a class 5 driver’s license and own a vehicle that can be used for work.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Preference will be given to candidates with Indigenous ancestry.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize therapeutic alliance in counselling services.
- High degree of computer skills and ability to complete statistical reporting.
- Current Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST), Current Emergency First Aid and CPR Certification.
Job Type: Permanent
Salary: $49.85 per hour
- Dental care
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Vision care
Work Location: In person