About the Organization
At Local Engineering, we are an Alberta based engineering services provider supporting a select group of recurring clients. Local’s unique approach is to develop a long-term relationship with our clients, becoming the “owner’s engineer” and prioritizing client needs. We have a wide-ranging and diverse client base to help stabilize our workload when some markets are in a downturn. The growing Local Engineering team is small but nimble, with a one-of-a-kind collaborative team environment.
The Intermediate-Senior Mechanical Engineer (P.Eng.) will provide mechanical engineering support on a variety of projects/clients including modifications to existing facilities, conceptual design of improvement ideas, replacement of existing equipment and design and implementation of new capital projects.
Education & Qualifications
- Graduate of a recognized university with a Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- Registered as a P.Eng. in good standing with APEGA.
- Preference will be given to a candidate with more than 5 years of progressive mechanical engineering experience, however team fit is most important.
- Experience with ASME and API standards for piping and equipment (rotating and static).
- Experience with interpreting technical drawings such as vendor equipment drawings, P&IDs, and piping isometrics.
- Experience preparing and engineering work packages and associated deliverables.
- Familiarity with CAD design software is considered an asset.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite programs used to create reports and documents.
- Site/field based industrial work experience is considered an asset.
- Execute mechanical engineering activities within a scope of work that includes everything from conceptual design development through to detailed design, procurement support, construction support and commissioning, depending on the needs of the client.
- Support the project team to deliver high quality client service that maintains technical excellence, budget, schedule and contractual requirements.
- Take a lead role in multi-discipline projects, including developing deliverables from concept through calculations and detailed design.
- Engage in pipe stress analysis including developing models and completing stress analysis of piping systems as needed.
- Actively engage directly with clients to understand their requirements and expectations and deliver top quality solutions.
- Support CAD design work and input to piping designs.
- Specify procurement requirements for equipment and assist with procurement as needed (typically vessels, pumps, etc.).
- Work with and develop piping and equipment specifications as needed.
- Develop Engineering Work Packages.
- Understand and complete work within established project budgets ensuring work is completed according to the defined contractual scope and execution strategy.
- Provide additional support as needed including learning the work requirements of other disciplines (process, electrical, structural) in order to deliver well-rounded solutions to clients.
- Identify and liaise with potential new clients to support the growth of the team and company.
- Report to the Mechanical Engineering Lead on progress of work and assist in mentorship and technical guidance of more junior team members.
- Demonstrate commitment to safety and quality.
- Travel to the field for project scoping, verification, construction support and meeting with clients as needed.
Skills & Knowledge
- Client service oriented
- Strong verbal and written communication
- Dependable self-starter
- Analytical and creative problem-solving skills
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively within a team as required by the project
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Continuous learner
- Hours of work per week may vary depending on available work and skillset of individual, but the intention is that this is a full-time position.
- Salary is commensurate with APEGA salary scale.
- Job is typically performed in an office environment.
- Site travel may be required depending on the project.
Local Engineering provides a unique opportunity for an intermediate-senior engineer to provide leadership and guidance to less experienced engineers. Our small, open, and close-knit office culture and the wide variety of clients and projects we are engaged with lends itself to learning and mentorship opportunities, as well as significant growth opportunities within the organization. It’s an exciting opportunity to get in on the ground floor of a growing and expanding Alberta based, employee owned company and will specifically suit an ambitious person who is driven to be a part of that growth story. Local offers employee benefits, a welcoming and casual office environment, competitive pay, growth opportunities, and a place where you’re treated like a valued friend.
Job Type: Full-time
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Flexible schedule
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Sherwood Park, AB: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (preferred)
- Are you currently certified or a member of APEGA?
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred)
Work Location: In person