Salary range: The salary range for this position is CAD $27.11 - $28.74 / hour Why Fraser Health?:
Fraser Health continues to be recognized as one of BC's Top Employers, are you someone who is passionate about making a difference in the lives of others?
Fraser Health is responsible for the delivery of hospital and community-based health services to over 1.9 million people in 20 diverse communities from Burnaby to Fraser Canyon on the traditional territories of the Coast Salish and Nlaka’pamux Nations. Our team of nearly 45,000 medical staff and volunteers is dedicated to serving our patients, families and communities to deliver on our vision: Better health, best in health care.
Effective October 26th, 2021, all new hires to Fraser Health will need to have full COVID 19 vaccination (have received a full series of a World Health Organization “WHO” approved vaccine against infection by SARS-COV-2, or a combination of approved WHO vaccines). Please note this applies to all postings, and individual medical exemptions must be approved by the Provincial Health Officer.
Take the next step and apply so we can continue the conversation with you.
Come work with dedicated health care providers who are enthusiastic and committed to provide quality healthcare to our clients/patients/residents. We invite you to find out why more than 95% of new employees recommend Fraser Health as an excellent place to work. Work hard and have fun while you do it.
Curious to learn what it’s like to work here? Like us on Facebook (@fraserhealthcareers), follow us on Twitter & Instagram (@FHCareer), or connect with us on LinkedIn (fraserhealthcareers) for first-hand employee insights.
Detailed Overview: Under the direction and general supervision of the Coordinator, Inpatient Unit the Health Care Worker follows health care procedures to provide day-to-day care within a nursing team; participates in patients' group activities; assists in maintaining a safe environment and assists with the ongoing monitoring of patients' progress; escorts patients to other facilities or appointments as required. Responsibilities:
- Attends to day-to-day care of patients by supervising and assisting with meals on unit; escorting and supervising meals at the patients' dining room; assisting patients in general care such as bathing, dressing, feeding and personal hygiene.
- Performs routine nursing procedures such as weighing patients, taking temperatures, pulse, respiration, blood pressures, and measuring intake and output; records data on flow sheets.
- Observes and reports changes in condition or behaviour of patients; records on patients' clinical records as directed by the Coordinator; fills out forms in regards to patients' behaviour as required; monitors patients on the unit.
- Assists with admission and discharge procedures.
- Accompanies and assists the lab technician with medical procedures; collects stool and urine samples.
- Participates in the rehabilitation, remotivation and self-care programs by being aware of patients' nursing care plan and stated treatment goals; modeling appropriate behaviour and teaching simple social skills; escorting and supervising gym groups, arts and crafts and the occasional outdoor group activity; promoting patients' compliance with commitments, i.e. unit chores list; assisting patients with completing their chores; participating in the therapeutic community settings, i.e. Kardex meetings.
- Assists in maintaining a safe environment which is conducive to patients' emotional and physical well-being by being aware of the reason for the identity of the patients' who are on special or constant attention status and closely monitoring patients who are on special or constant attention status as required.
- Assists with hospital and grounds searches for absent without leave (AWOL) patients.
- Promotes order by conducting and assisting in controlling any disturbances; assists in restraining out-of-control patients.
- Assists in the clean up of broken glass, furniture, etc.; tidies unit kitchen and makes patients' coffee.
- Assists patients in maintaining a tidy environment, and under the direction of the Coordinator, to obtain, displace and/or carry various items.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Qualifications: Education and Experience
Grade twelve (12) and a Resident Care Aide certificate plus two (2) years' recent, related experience in a group home and/or other related areas where clients with psychiatric conditions may reside.
Valid Class V BC Drivers' Licence. Basic First Aide certificate.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal effectively with others.
- Ability to organize work.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Ability to operate related equipment.