About the Role
Under the direct supervision of a licensed pharmacist, the Registered Pharmacy Technician processes prescriptions in prescription software, prepare medication compounding sheets, program infusion pumps all in preparation for pharmacist to review. The Registered Pharmacy Technician will assist in the final check of prescriptions, receive phone calls including verbal orders and assist with tasks within scope to ensure smooth operations of pharmacy.
A Day in the Life
- Assist the pharmacist in maintaining federal, provincial, and local laws,accrediting body standards, and Policies and Procedures (P&Ps).
- Assists the pharmacist in entering prescriptions into the prescription software (Kroll), and filling/billing such prescriptions
- Schedules patient for repeat medications
- Assists the pharmacist in preparing compounding sheets for the preparationof medication• Assists the pharmacist in programming infusion pumps formedication delivery and preparing other devices
- Assists the pharmacists in the preparation and labeling of medications as allowed by law.
- Receives and transcribes verbal prescriptions (with the exception of narcotics, controlled drugs, benzodiazepines and targeted substances) from prescribers ensuring prescription completeness; and provide prescription transfers
- Package and dispense prescription medications after a pharmacist has decided on the appropriateness of therapy by:
- confirming accuracy, completeness and final check of compounded sterile products & prepared prescriptions prepared for release (i.e. correct patient, drug dosage form/route, dose, doctor, etc.)
- Checking the final compounded sterile product for the absence of particulate matter andcontainer integrity
- Ensuring prescription(s) gets matched to the right delivery in good timingto shipping.
- Assists the pharmacist in filling refill medications through the prescriptionsoftware (Kroll)
- Communicates appropriately with all members of the healthcare team.
- Maintains pharmacy records including filing and documenting required information on dispensing records.
- Cleans work areas routinely in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Documents appropriately according to P&Ps, all activities using requiredpaperwork (logs)
- Participates in Performance Improvement and Quality Assurance activitieseducation programs and department/branch meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned.