The Engineering Facilities Project Manager will work with cross functional, interdisciplinary teams in multiple facilities/ infrastructure projects as well as other technical engineering projects, and be responsible for overall project management by adopting and applying project management tools, techniques, and best practices. This will include; developing and maintaining detailed project management plans considering commercial, technical, legal, and regulatory requirements; developing, maintaining and reporting schedule, budget and resources performance against plans; identifying risks and implementing risk mitigation strategies; as well as improving project management practices across the engineering department.
Project Definition & Initiation
- Lead the creation and execution of long-term plans for Facility Infrastructure (FI) projects.
- Engage with others in the Facilities group, and with production departments, in developing this plan.
- Assist in the definition of business case, project objectives, and project specification (technical, functional, cost, time, scope) involving all relevant stakeholders and ensuring technical feasibility.
- Work with Facility Department team members in all stages of project management, including project ideation, execution, qualification and on-going maintenance of new systems and equipment.
- Ensure that the project objectives defined are aligned with the strategic goals of the organization.
Create and execute detailed project plans (schedule, resource needs, material needs) considering commercial, technical, legal, and regulatory requirements for facilities/ infrastructure projects in adherence with Nordion’s policies and processes for Facility upgrades and changes.
Clearly communicate project goals and team member responsibilities; convene and manage project meetings as required by the project. Manage (and resolve) resource availability and allocation.
Project Execution, Monitoring & Control
- Measure and monitor project performance (scope, budget, schedule, and quality) using appropriate tools and techniques.
- Ensure that all projects are delivered on-time, within scope and within budget.
- Manage changes to the project scope, schedule, and budget using defined change management processes.
- Monitor all work related to function, delivery, resources, and quality. Identify project risks, maintain risks and issues log, implement risk mitigation strategies, and report/escalate issues to management as needed.
- Manage the relationship with all stakeholders (internal and external).
- Communicate project status to key stakeholders and team members effectively; facilitate resolution of conflicts and disagreements.
- Take ownership of all forms of project administration including meetings (status, reviews, postmortem); reporting (project level and senior leadership) and metrics (Schedule and budget monitoring and analysis).
- Maintain action plans and report status on all projects on an ongoing basis, including identification and resolution of resource constraints and other issues.
- Adhere to Nordion’s Environmental, Health & Safety Policies, Quality Management System, and any other organizational procedures.
Project & Facilities Management Processes, Standards & Tools
- Develop working knowledge of Facility systems and equipment.
- Assist Facilities Manager and Project Services Manager in project portfolio management, development and maintenance of standards, templates, project management and Nordion’s processes.
- Provides continuous insight on process improvements or resources/ tools and opportunities.
Develops and contributes standards and templates to the project management toolkit.
Skills & Competencies
- Deep understanding of Facilities infrastructure systems and equipment.
- Strong understanding of project management tools, techniques, and best practices - traditional/waterfall, adaptive/iterative project management and visual management.
- Experience in Regulated environment Industry such as Nuclear or Medical Devices.
- Strong working knowledge of MS products (Word, Excel, Power Point, Project), Recent and relevant working experience with management systems.
- Basic understanding of business principles and contracts.
- Ability to learn new tools and techniques quickly and grasp unfamiliar technical concepts quickly.
- Demonstrates a high degree of persuasive power and is a team player with high intrinsic motivation. Uses empathy to understand needs of others and uses that knowledge to motivate them. Sets an example that others willingly follow.
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills to actively listen and communicate in ways that foster trust and show flexibility. Easily adapt to varied roles on teams from follower to leader. Change approach or method to best fit the situation.
- Ability to excel in a self-directed work environment and influence across the organization. Knows what communication is needed to succeed and ensures it takes place.
- Fluent in English.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience managing and/or leading one or more complex technical projects, ideally with some experience in the nuclear sector.
- University Degree in Applied Science or Engineering Professional Engineering (P. Eng.) license is desired.
- Project Management Certification, such as PMP, would be an asset.
- Nuclear Energy Worker
- FBI fingerprinting