POSITION SUPERVISED BY: Community Services Team Lead
QUALIFICATIONS/SKILLS: Degree in Social Work /Psychology, or related field: strong skills in assessments, crisis intervention and de-escalation, suicide prevention, first aid, mental health, and addictions; a working knowledge and understanding of Housing First philosophy and goals; knowledge of community resources.
OVERVIEW OF JOB POSITION: We are seeking a Centralized Intake Worker to join our Community Services Team to provide intake and assessment for individuals/families experiencing homelessness; to assess suitability for Housing First support services; to provide crisis intervention and referrals; to work with Service Providers and community to ensure supports are set up for Case Management.
We offer competitive wages and benefits within a demanding but supportive work environment. We are an equal opportunity employer. As an agency grounded in First Nation traditional values, preference is given to applicants of Indigenous, Metis and Inuit ancestry. Please self Identify Indigenous heritage in a cover letter.
Wood Buffalo Wellness Society is a registered, non-profit organization operating programs under the Community Plan on Homelessness as well as the Mark Amy Treatment Centre.
Our Vision: A community where all are housed and free of addiction.
Our Mission: We do this by providing culturally appropriate programs and support for addiction treatment and housing to individuals and families, focusing our efforts towards Indigenous communities, reconciliation, and wellness.
Intake and Assessment:
- To meet with individuals experiencing or at risk of experiencing homelessness to assess eligibility for program supports, using the Service Prioritization Decision Assistance Tool (SPDAT).
- To assess physical and emotional needs of clients and provide short term support through crisis intervention and/or referrals to appropriate services as needed.
- To provide information on, Housing First program; Client and Service Provider responsibilities and role of Intake and Assessment.
- To inform clients of privacy legislation and collection of personal information
- To ensure all file documentation is kept up to date and accurate for client files.
- To ensure contact notes on all clients receiving services and not entering program are recorded and filed on a monthly basis.
- To input data into” Efforts To Outcomes” (ETO) data base on a weekly basis.
- To respond to emails and phone calls in a timely manner.
- To perform triage support as part of the team.
- To schedule appointments, warm transfers in a timely manner.
Service Provider Relationships:
- To facilitate a “warm transfer” of a client from the Centralized Intake and Assessment to a Service Provider through a scheduled meeting with the Client, Intake and Assessment Worker and Agency Case Managers/Team Leads.
- To act as a resource for Service Providers by providing information on the role of Intake and Assessment, and to share information gathered during the intake and assessment process.
- To provide support for clients during ‘warm transfer’ process.
- To facilitate information sessions in the community on client eligibility for Housing First supports and the role of Intake and Assessment workers.
- To attend case conferences for clients when it is deemed necessary.
- To provide information and referrals to agencies and community members for clients not eligible for housing First supports.
- To participate in community events relating to Homeless Initiatives.
- Participate in regularly scheduled supervisory meetings.
- Participate in Homeless Initiatives Team meetings as scheduled.
- Participate in agency staff meetings.
- Attend professional development courses as appropriate to job position and future growth.
- Other duties as may be assigned by supervisor.
Health and Safety:
- Ensure a safe environment for Clients, and Service Providers.
- Record incident/near miss reports when needed.
- Provide information to WBWS staff on an as needed basis in regards to concerns or potential risks from clients
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $35.00-$37.00 per hour
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Paid time off
- Vision care
- Do you wish to self‑identify as an Indigenous person in Canada such as First Nation, Métis or Inuit?”
- Bachelor's Degree (required)
- relevant: 1 year (preferred)
- Class 5 Licence (preferred)
Work Location: In person