Clinical Nurse Educator - Critical Care - IPP&L
Req ID: 151879
Company: Nova Scotia Health
Location: Central Zone, Dartmouth General Hospital
Department: IPPL Staff Development DGH
Type of Employment: Permanent Hourly FT (100% FTE) x 1 position(s)
Status: NSNU Nursing Position
Posting Closing Date: 30-Aug-23
*This is a reposted position. Current applicants are not required to re-apply.
Nova Scotia Health is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia, with some specialized services also offered to clients throughout Atlantic Canada. We’re on a mission to achieve excellence in health, healing and learning through working together, which is reflected in the hospitals, health centres and community-based programs we operate across the province. Our passionate team of professionals provides a variety of high-quality inpatient and outpatient services including academic, tertiary, and quaternary care, as well as continuing care, primary health care, public health, and mental health and addictions. Join a diverse team of innovators, collaborators and creative thinkers today.
Nova Scotia Health employs professionals in all corners of our beautiful province. We believe there's a place here for everyone to call home, from vibrant cities with exuberant nightlife to quaint towns with picturesque trails. The work-life balance that comes with an Nova Scotia Health role means you'll have the time to explore, discover, and participate in that coveted Atlantic lifestyle. Visit us today and check out www.novascotia.comto see why more people from across the globe are moving here.
The Interprofessional Practice and Learning team facilitates and advances person-centered care through evidence-based professional practice and learning strategies and programs that are designed provincially and implemented locally to enhance collaborative learning and practice. The Interprofessional Practice and Learning team takes a leadership role in creating a culture of collaboration with a focus on team-based care, evidence-informed practice, and learning and professional development to improve health outcomes for patients, families and communities. Through strong partnerships with the academic sector, regulators, and government, the Interprofessional Practice and Learning team has an integral role in influencing and operationalizing health system priorities.
About The Opportunity
Reporting directly to the Health Services Manager Interprofessional Practice and Learning, Central Zone. The Clinical Nurse Educator (CNE) is accountable to promote attainment of clinical expertise through the development and provision of education that focuses on optimal patient care. Working collaboratively with nursing and interprofessional health disciplines, the CNE demonstrates expertise as an educator in the clinical specialty; as well as demonstrating competency as a consultant, researcher, facilitator, change agent, leader. They foster a culture of learning to build capacity and support safe practice, advances professional practice through the development and implementation of transition to practice programs and ongoing practice and professional development that integrates a learner centered approach. They are responsible for developing, planning, executing, and evaluating learning experiences for staff at Dartmouth General Hospital. The Clinical Nurse Educator team work collaboratively to support patient care teams at a site, zone and/or provincial level. There are opportunities for professional development, learning, and growth in the role and you will be supported by a large, dynamic, and engaged team within IPPL.
Please note this position requires periodic travel to facilities within Nova Scotia. A valid driver’s license and access to transportation is required.
We would love to hear from you if you have the following:
- Bachelor of Nursing/Bachelor of Science in Nursing required
- Master of Nursing/Health Care/Education preferred
- Current registration (in good standing) with the Nova Scotia College of Nursing
- Minimum three years' full-time clinical nursing experience within the last five years in Critical Care nursing required (recent additional experience with acute medical-surgical nursing preferred)
- Canadian Nurses Association Certification in a relevant specialty required
- BLS-C (HCP) certification required
- Diploma or certificate in adult education or equivalent or willingness to complete
- Leadership Development Education an asset or willingness to complete
- Experience with orientation, transition to practice, and supporting new graduate nurses preferred
- Ability to develop strong working relationships with key stakeholders
- Previous teaching experience which involves designing, implementing and evaluating both traditional and non-traditional methods of instruction preferred
- Recent professional development relevant to maintaining currency in clinical practice and education
- Well-developed verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with group facilitation preferred
- Ability to manage conflict, stressful situations and competing demands
- Understanding of and experience with computer applications – Microsoft office applications, Skype for business, SharePoint
- Physical demands – setting up rooms, walking and standing, movement of educational resources/tools with facilities and across sites
- Competencies in other languages preferred, French an asset
Successful Applicants are required to provide a Criminal Record Check (including Vulnerable Sector Search) to Human Resources before starting employment and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment.
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants will be screened on the above qualifications. Applicants must clearly demonstrate how they meet the knowledge and competencies in their cover letter and resume. Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application. Applicants will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or missing information.
Hours of Work
Permanent Full-Time (75 hours bi-weekly)
Beginning September, 2023
*Dates are approximate and are subject to change.
Compensation & Incentives
$44.36 - $50.52 hourly
$86,494 - $98,511 annually
$52.29 hourly ($101,959 annually) with 25 years' nursing experience
Successful candidates may be eligible for our benefits package which includes health, dental, travel, long-term disability, and life insurance coverage as well as a defined benefit pension plan. (Permanent and Long Assignments Only)
Once You've Applied
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Some opportunities may be eligible for our Employee Referral Program. If a Nova Scotia Health employee refers a candidate who is not working for the organization and the candidate is hired, the employee who made the referral may be eligible to earn up to $1000. For more details and instructions, please visit Recruitment - Incentives
This is a Nursing bargaining unit position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions. Employees are encouraged to view their seniority hours and dates in their SuccessFactors online profile. Successful applicants changing unions, bargaining units or employment status, are advised to seek clarification regarding their seniority, benefits, and vacation entitlement and/or usage, prior to accepting the position.
Preferred candidates must be able to demonstrate proof of primary series of COVID -19 vaccine at time of hire.
Nova Scotia Health is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. We encourage all qualified applicants who self-identify as Indigenous, Black/African Nova Scotian, Persons of Colour, Foreign Nationals/Newcomers, Persons with Disabilities, 2SLGBTQIA+ to apply and self-identify.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $44.36-$50.52 per hour
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Dartmouth, NS: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- educating: 1 year (preferred)
- Nursing: 1 year (preferred)
- Registered Nurse (RN) License (preferred)
Work Location: In person