We are SGS – the world’s leading Testing, Inspection and Certification company. We are recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. Our 97,000 employees operate a network of 2,650 offices and laboratories, working together to enable a Better, Safer and more Interconnected world
Work schedule - Evening Shift [12:00-24:00]- Work Shift 2-2-3
12 hours / day ( 2 evening shifts, 2 days off, 3 evenings shifts, 2 days off, 2 evening shifts, 3 days off)
This position will perform testing on petroleum and chemical product samples including but not limited to crude oil, asphalt, heavy fuel oil, diesel & jet fuel, gasoline, benzene, toluene, xylene, methanol, gases (LPG, Propane, Mixed) etc.
- Follows all company health, safety and environmental policies.
- Conduct testing following standard (ASTM, CAN CGSB, IP, NACE, etc.) procedures to comply with client requests.
- Conduct testing on non-petroleum products using approved methods.
- Ensure test results are accurate by use of equipment calibrations and checks.
- Provide clients with test results as per client specifications.
- Compile completed test raw data results for reporting.
- Convey test results to clients in a timely manner using reporting system.
- Carry out routine maintenance and calibration of laboratory equipment to ensure delivery of accurate results.
- Liaise with the Laboratory Supervisor and other staff to discuss plans to deal with client work requests.
- Follows all Quality system protocols and reports any discrepancies to the Supervisor.
- Participate in testing of Round Robin samples, internal and external.
- Organize and clean laboratory work areas to maintain efficiency.
- Package dangerous goods for shipping as per Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations.
- Complete miscellaneous projects that develop in the laboratory.
- May be assigned and coordinate special or ad hoc projects as needed.
- A post-secondary education (degree and/or diploma) in a Science related program (Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, etc.) is required.
- Related work experience maybe considered comparable or equivalent to a degree and/or diploma.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in a laboratory setting is required.
- Must use good judgment to identify and resolve problems on the job. When in difficulty refer problems to his/her supervisor for resolution.
- Intermediate level of creativity required in solving routine problems.
- Able to work well under pressure during high (peak) work loads and balancing conflicting demands of high volume versus the quality of results.
- Good hand/eye coordination when handling samples & lab equipment
- Must be comfortable with numerals in order to monitor data on a computer screen.
- Must be able to read, understand and follow work instructions in a safe, accurate and timely manner.
- Candidates must be proficient in using various types of computer software (Word, Excel. PowerPoint & Outlook).
- Proven ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects in a fast-paced, highly professional environment.
- Candidates must demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills including grammar and composition.
- Ability to work well with others & independently.
- Proven time management skills and a strong attention to detail.
- Extended hours and shift work may be required from time to time.
- Travel to other SGS locations or client location may be required from time to time.
- Ensures full compliance with the company’s Health & Safety, Code of Integrity, and Professional Conduct policies
SGS Canada is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to achieving greater accessibility by providing accommodation for people with disabilities during our hiring process. Accommodations are available on request for qualified candidates during each stage of the recruitment process.
Please note that candidates applying for Canadian job openings should be authorized to work in Canada.