The Design Engineering Manager is accountable for the System Segment Mechanical and Electrical Design groups overall execution performance in terms of achieving functional targets, beating project budgets, ensuring on-time delivery of milestones, and delivering high engineering excellence.
The Design Engineering Manager, as a people manager, is responsible for building and coaching/mentoring the mechanical and electrical group resources through engagement, connection, development, performance management, and hiring plan/strategies. This will also include management of the group through resourcing planning and prioritization, capacity planning, and meeting group chargeability targets.
The Design Engineering Manager will collaborate with the Director of Engineering, Team Leads, and cross-functional teams to set the vision of the Mechanical and Electrical Design groups to align with JMP business strategies and develop processes, standards, best practices, and tools that will boost the team’s effectiveness and efficiency.
It is critical to communicate challenges, set expectations, and predict risks to be successful at delivering an extraordinary customer experience (ECE) as well as an extraordinary employee experience (EEE).
The Design Engineering Manager will report to the Director of Engineering
Click here to see a JMP Solution in action: https://www.youtube.com/@jmpsolutions
What would a typical day be like?
Engineering / Project Performance Management
- Accountable for the Design Groups performance in terms of achieving/defining functional targets, meeting/beating project budgets, and ensuring on-time delivery of scope.
- Ensure engineering excellence is achieved by active participation in project and design reviews as the approval authority while adhering to the defined process and Stage-Gate methodology.
- Support projects by bringing high automation design experience to assist with guiding the direction of projects, approach to solution strategies, and applying solid judgement as needed.
- Review and verify feasibility of proposed project plans for resourcing, milestone dates, and budgets such that project teams are setup with what is required to execute to the plan.
- Respond to escalated project and operational challenges with strategic plans and tenacious follow-through to completion, while driving a culture of urgency into the team.
- Be the mechanical and electrical process owner to develop, approve, and ensure compliance of documented standards and processes for standardization and consistent execution.
- Maintain and improve the tools and systems that enable mechanical and electrical operational capacity to align with the commercial strategy of the Business Development Managers (BDM’s).
- Drive alignment across the business units within the design groups to enable effective collaboration through standardized engineering practices, resource sharing, and document control.
People / Team Management
- Accountable for the group’s talent development through active coaching, mentoring, training, and front-line management of both the leaders and team members.
- Foster a workspace atmosphere that is in strong alignment with JMP values and promotes an extraordinary employee experience.
- Prioritize and allocate technical resources to successfully complete projects and ensure project schedules meet on-time delivery milestones.
- Lead performance management reviews of the mechanical and electrical design group resources with input and/or involvement by the Team Leads and/or location Operational Leads.
- Develop partnerships with outsourced resources, JMP divisions, or Convergix OpCo’s to augment group needs and ensure alignment to JMP quality expectations.
- Understand current and future work levels to pro-actively manage resources, capacity, and chargeability targets. Escalate staffing needs to the Director of Engineering as required.
- Develop reporting tools to communicate team resourcing and project execution performance.
- Participate in recruitment activities and onboarding of new group members.
- Assist the applications and sales teams in the creation of unique and inventive solutions to enhance their offerings and drive sales.
- Work with the Systems Design group to develop and communicate clear requirements, specifications, and design standards for project team alignment.
- Support the Project Managers with commercial strategies during project execution (i.e. scope changes, resourcing priorities, narrative management).
- Collaborate with the Director of Engineering to formulate the long-term vision for the group.
- Partner with the sales team to assess and suggest standard product offerings for repeat use that synergize with offerings across the segment.
- Research upcoming technologies, with JMP partners, OpCo’s, and suppliers to drive innovation into the Systems Segment and assist with developing competitive advantages for JMP systems
What qualifies you for this opportunity?
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in electrical, mechanical, or software controls technology, and at least five years relevant work experience.
- 5+ years experience in an engineering leadership role.
- 10+ years experience in a design role (mechanical preferred) within the automation industry
- Registered PEng is an asset
- Solid understanding of industrial automation and robotics in both the mechanical design and electrical design disciplines.
- Ability to explain detailed engineering concepts and ideas to a wide audience of people.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organization skills.
- Passion to motivate / develop team members while acting as a mentor to promote JMP values.
- Tenacity to solve problems and take ownership of solutions with a sense of urgency.
- Confident performing engineering calculations to analyze equipment parameters pertaining to force, movement, energy, and timing including nuanced interferences.
- Proficient with sanitary design requirements, material selection, tolerance stackup, and component selection based on functional design needs and requirements.
- Experience with cycle time analysis/simulations, process and flow breakdowns, and the development of critical requirements / specifications to drive design solutions.
- Familiarity and/or proficiency with SolidWorks, ePLAN, and AutoCAD.
- Strong aptitude developing and reviewing 3D CAD design, 2D drawings, and 2D schematics.
- Exposure to difficult problem solving including on-the-floor equipment troubleshooting.
- Reliable transportation and an ability to travel; Controls Specialists at JMP should have the ability to travel within the US and Canada
- Experience with compliance to equipment design standards (i.e. ANSI, CSA, OSHA, CE, etc.)
What does JMP Offer You?
Here at JMP, we offer a very generous compensation and benefits package including:
- Dental coverage
- RRSP Matching
- 401K Matching
- and more!
CONVERGIX Automation Solutions (CONVERGIX) is a global systems integrator specializing in custom automated manufacturing systems including, robotics, controls, material handling, information systems, and process automation. As a complete solutions provider, we offer our customers technical expertise and creative solutions to dramatically improve and enhance their processing, manufacturing, and logistics operations.
We are a single Source Automation Solutions Provider that leverages the Geography, Technology, Industry expertise and Capacity of the entire Convergix portfolio across the entire value chain for our customers. We leverage creative, solutions-oriented engineering and technology to close gaps in process efficiency and drive industries forward.
JMP Solutions (a Convergix Company)
Founded in 1987, JMP is an automation systems integrator offering solutions to diverse industrial and consumer end markets. It designs, engineers, and integrates hardware and software to automate its customers’ manufacturing and production facilities. Headquartered in London, Ontario, with an established North American footprint consisting of 17 office locations across the U.S. and Canada, the Company’s multi-geographic branch model provides it with a strategic advantage over smaller, sub-regional competitors, allowing it to provide targeted, local support while also growing with its blue-chip customer base across geographies and applications. We are certified as a “Great Place to Work” in both Canada and US. We have also been awarded one of the “Top 50 Best Workplaces Canada” nine (9) times, including Best Workplaces for Inclusion, for Women and Professional Services 2021 and 2022.
What does JMP value?
Our values are our foundational concepts on which we build JMP; we adhere to these no matter what mountain we climb.
- Integrity: We do what we say we will do, every time, all the time.
- Relationships: We identify professional working relationships and create opportunities to develop those relationships
- Collaboration: We team together to achieve far more than we could on our own
- Leadership: We value people who lead by example, take pride in what they do and inspire others
- Respect: We promotes a caring environment of mutual respect for employees, customers, partners, and communities
- Excellence: We set high standards of performance for ourselves and our team
Why join the JMP team?
As a growing company in the industrial technology industry and rooted with strong corporate values, JMP Solutions can offer a unique value proposition to employees. Our employee promise is a rewarding employee experience delivered through a focus on three key areas:
- Development and Career Growth
- Impact and Recognition
- Flexibility and Collaboration
We thank all candidates for their interest, however only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
JMP Solutions has an accommodation program in place that provides reasonable accommodations for employees with disabilities. If you require a specific accommodation because of a disability or a medical need, please contact Human Resources.
Job Type: Full-time
Flexible Language Requirement:
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Cambridge, ON N3H 4R7