Job Title: Mental Health and Addictions Counsellor
Canadian Northwest Region is excited to announce a new partnership program with Western Cree Tribal Council. We are looking for an addictions/mental health counsellor to support our delivery of a mobile addictions treatment program to three Western Cree communities in our region.
Under the direction of the Health Director, the counsellor will focus on the approved curriculum and offer support to the program participants that will consist of specific onsite supports and sessions during the program. This program will include three WCTC communities and will rotate through each community monthly.
- It is preferred for the applicant to be indigenous or culturally competent and fully aware of communities under Western Cree Tribal Council.
- Degree in Social Sciences or Social Work and or Diploma in Social Services or Career and work counselling, case management, and/or work experience.
- 2-3 years experience counselling individuals and groups for diverse clients facing multiple barriers that include addictions, mental health illnesses/challenges, criminal justice system involvement, history of trauma, grief, and loss and/or impacts of intergenerational trauma.
- Motivational interview skills
- Class 5 drivers license with drivers abstract.
- First Aid and CPR certification. Training will be provided to successful candidate.
- Must have a valid class 5 drivers license and abstract provided.
-Provide a clear criminal reference check and vulnerable peoples sector check applicable to the responsibilities of this position
- Must be willing to travel daily, Monday - Friday
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Knowledge and understanding of Western Cree culture and traditions
- Knowledgeable about culture and the significant characteristics of the social structures and relevant human service needs of the Cree people.
- All candidates must be able to work with a diverse population
- Adaptability of program materials is critical to meet the unique and varying needs of participants.
- Be competent in several treatment models such as DBT, CBT, Positive Psychology and have a biopsychosocial and spiritual approach.
- Willing to provide group sessions by working with team members. The team approach will ensure a backfill of services and immediate needs are met within the three WCTC communities.
Solid knowledge of social work theories and approaches that could assist community members to move forward towards recovery while building independence, self-esteem, and a connection to identity and culture.
Ability to balance target outcomes with quality client care ensuring client centered relationships are established and sustained to meet the community member where they are at.
- Will be knowledgeable of the range of both contemporary and traditional methods of intervention, assessment, counselling, support, training, and healing that are effective in promoting community, family, and individual development and well-being.
- Ability to use Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook and familiarity with case noting.
- Excellent communication (verbal/written)
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Excellent stress management and coping skills that support self-care and healthy boundary setting with community members, community partners, and teammates.
-Efficient time management skills and be flexible in facilitating duties.
- Ability to learn new skills and be flexible in facilitating duties.
- Recording and collecting statistical data regarding service delivery, meeting funder requirements to submit statistical information on predetermined intervals. (report writing and all suggested evaluations).
- Able to work with minimal supervision
- Uphold the behavioral expectations of the Mobile Treatment Program and Social Work, and organizational work ethics.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $27.00-$37.00 per hour
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision care
- Wellness program
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred)
Work Location: On the road
Application deadline: 2023-09-25
Expected start date: 2023-11-06