Intertek is searching for a Technician to join our Food Team in our Saskatoon, SK office. This is a fantastic opportunity to grow a versatile career in our agri-food lab.
The Technician is responsible for:
What you’ll do:
- Through guidance provided by Management, and in a safe, legal and ethical manner, the Laboratory Technician 1 performs duties to support microbiological, sensory and analytical testing for the Company and its clients and to maintain associated records, thus supporting the goal of providing a service to our clients that is accurate, timely and cost effective.
- The Laboratory Technician reports administratively and functionally through the Laboratory Technician 2 to the laboratory Supervisor and works co-operatively with all departments in the provision of routine laboratory services.
What it takes to be successful in this role:
- Monitors the availability of supplies needed for daily testing processes and notifies purchasing staff of future requirements.
- Performs a variety of qualitative and quantitative chemical, physical and microbiological tests on raw materials and finished products received under commercial testing contracts in a timely manner according to prescribed methods and procedures.
- Verifies and communicates results obtained, and makes appropriate entries into instrument logs, control charts, calibration records, laboratory worksheets, and any other media, whether print or electronic, required, assuring the validity and traceability of the information.
- Maintains documentation, equipment, and work area in a neat, orderly and safe condition.
- Base cleaning and maintenance of the laboratory work area and calibration of equipment as per the management system requirements.
- Initiates action to prevent the occurrence of any non-conformities relating to product, process and management system.
- Prepares interim and final reports on assigned research and development projects.
- Keeps abreast of developments in his/her field through professional contact and technical publications as well as government and supplier regulations relating to food, microbiological, nutritional, NHP, grain, oilseeds and other related products.
- Assumes full responsibility for accuracy of techniques and the reliability of results. On the introduction of new types of tests or testing equipment, a full explanation of the procedure is provided by the managers.
- Keeps updated daily logs and diaries as required by the management system.
- Identifies and records any problems relating to the product, process, and management system, initiating, recommending, or providing solutions through designated channels.
- Controls further processing, delivery, or installation of nonconforming product until the deficiency or unsatisfactory condition has been corrected
- Directs the laboratory assistant as required.
- Maintains confidentiality of all business-related issues and activities of Intertek
- Assists in the training of other laboratory procedures and techniques in accordance with prescribed methods to be followed in performing parts of complex tests or in performing regular tests with the assistance of the appropriate managers
- Provides supervision to trainees and other technicians as requested by management
- Must possess good verbal communication skills, be proficient and mathematics and be able to perform analytical tasks.
- To carry out the above responsibilities, and all others which may be assigned, in a manner demonstrating support for and adherence to the Company’s Safety policy and Procedures, Quality Policy and Procedures, Ethics Policy, Environmental Management System, Vision and Strategy, and to exercise good judgment, common sense, and diplomacy in so doing.
- Shows good organizational and time management skills with a high tolerance for job pressures and an ability to work and communicate with persons of diverse personalities and backgrounds.
- Performs related duties as required.
- A related degree in Physical science, such as Microbiology, Food Science, a/o Chemistry, or Diploma in an applicable field such as chemical or biotechnology
- Competent in the use of computer word processing and spreadsheets and familiar with the use of basic statistical methods.
- 1-2 years practical experience in laboratory considered an asset
- Good organization/multitasking, oral and written communication and timeline management skills.
Why work at Intertek?
Intertek is a world leader in the $250 billion Quality Assurance market, with a proven, high-quality business model and a global network of customer-focused operations and highly engaged subject matter experts. At Intertek, we exercise our spirit of innovation, the passion of our people and our unmatched customer commitment to realize our purpose of making the world an ever better, safer, and more sustainable place for all. Learn more about Our History and What We Do .
Intertek is committed to a safe work environment for our employees and clients. Learn more about our COVID-19 Policy .
What we have to offer:
We offer a salary and benefit package competitively placed within the local market, including medical, dental, vision, life, disability, RRSP with company match, tuition reimbursement and more.
Intertek believes that Our People are our strongest tool for success.
Please apply online at www.intertek.com/careers