Help bring research to life and drive your career forward with the National Research Council of Canada (NRC), Canada's largest research and technology organization.
We are looking for a Senior Project Manager (RCO) to support the NRC Automotive and Surface Transportation Research Center (AST). The Senior Project Manager would be someone who shares our core values of Integrity, Excellence, Respect and Creativity.
The Automotive and Surface Transportation Research Centre has the mandate to advance product and process technologies for producing more fuel-efficient, affordable, and environmentally-responsible ground vehicles and to deliver engineering solutions to complex technology challenges facing surface transport industries, including heavy vehicles and rail.
The Senior Project Manager provides to Program Leaders support services in program governance to implement deploy and ensure effective management of the programs he/she supports. The incumbent provides a wide range of program and project management skills to help Program Leaders meet their operational objectives and thereby achieve the projected benefits of the programs. He/she must also foster partnerships between internal and external stakeholders and contribute to the general development, execution and coordination of the programs.
As a member of the Project Management Support Office (PMSO), the Senior Project Manager contributes to defining and ensuring compliance with best program and project management practices.
The incumbent will participate in developing and implementing strategies for program governance, identifying and planning required program updates and preparing performance reports for the programs he/she supports. The Project Manager provides professional advice and offers recommendations to Program Leaders to ensure that programs achieve their benefits and projects are delivered to partners in a satisfactory manner. He/she may occasionally manage complex projects with internal and external stakeholders.
Applicants must demonstrate within the content of their application that they meet the following screening criteria in order to be given further consideration as candidates:
Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Science.
Graduation in business administration or a program specializing in project management could be considered an asset.
Formal designation as a Project Management Professional (PMP) from the Project Management Institute (PMI) could be considered an asset.
For information on certificates and diplomas issued abroad, please see Degree equivalency
- Significant** experience in managing large complex projects involving multi-disciplinary teams and multi-partner resources in a matrix environment, including staff, sub-contractors and complex procurement aspects;
- Significant** experience in managing projects at all stages of development and execution, in a domain related to manufacturing or ground transportation, in an R&D environment;
- Significant** experience in the application of project management principles and the implementation of best practices, including providing coaching and training on project management to other staff members;
- Experience in reporting to senior management on project performance including reviewing, producing and analyzing project performance indicators, such as those related to costs, schedule, quality, client satisfaction and project team engagement, and providing recommendations on issues resolutions;
- Experience in internal and external stakeholder engagement in a complex environment;
- Experience in working with and reporting to expert/technical committees could be considered an asset;
- Experience in managing projects in a Research and Technology environment could be considered an asset.
**Significant: At least 5 years of experience.
Bilingual Imperative BBB/BBB
Information on language requirements and self-assessment tests
Candidates will be assessed on the basis of the following criteria:
- Advanced knowledge of project management theory, procedures and practices and the use of project management software tools.
- Knowledge of the business environment relevant to the research centre and its programs.
- Ability to create detailed project plans, coordinate team activities, running team meetings, tracking progress and communicating with stakeholders (internal and external).
- Management services - Client focus (Level 3)
- Management services - Communication (Level 3)
- Management services - Conceptual and analytical ability (Level 3)
- Management services - Results orientation (Level 3)
- Management services - Teamwork (Level 3)
For this position, the NRC will evaluate candidates using the following competency profile(s): Management Services
Relocation assistance will be determined in accordance with the NRC's directives.
This position is classified as a Research Council Officer (RCO), a group that is unique to the NRC. The RCO group uses a person-based classification system instead of the more common duties-based classification system. Candidates are remunerated based on their expertise, skill, outcomes and impacts of their previous work experience. The salary scale for this group is vast, from $57,220 to $161,754 per annum, which permits for employees of all levels from new graduates to world renowned experts to be fairly compensated for their contributions.
In addition, the incumbent will receive the Bilingualism Bonus of $800 per year.
NRC employees enjoy a wide-range of competitive benefits including comprehensive health and dental plans, pension and insurance plans, vacation and other leave entitlements.
- A pre-qualified list may be established for similar positions for a one year period.
- Preference will be given to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada. Please include citizenship information in your application.
- The incumbent must adhere to safe workplace practices at all times.
- We thank all those who apply, however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Please direct your questions, with the requisition number (20245) to:
E-mail: [email protected]
Closing Date: 26 September 2023 - 23:59 Eastern Time