As a support worker at Bethesda, you will support up to four people with intellectual disabilities in a staff-supported home that provides 24/7 support. You will join a team to help the people you support live as full and self-directed lives as possible in such areas as emotional and spiritual well-being, interpersonal relationships, material well-being, and social inclusion.
The position of support worker requires a high degree of Christian commitment and love to the people we support and to the philosophy of Bethesda. The worker must have the desire and capacity to support people with diverse abilities and must believe that the person receiving support is uniquely valuable.
Bethesda is committed to leadership development at all levels and offers opportunities for emerging leaders to learn and practice through a unique Leader-in-Training program, as well as leadership roles within the support worker position. For more information, see Bethesda’s Training Up Leaders webpage at https://bethesdabc.com/leadership-training.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
You may be scheduled to work shifts over a 24-hour day period and will report to and be assigned duties by the manager of your resource. The following is a list of support worker duties and responsibilities. The job is diverse and may vary depending on the site and the shift you are working.
· Attend to the physical, recreational, leisure, emotional, cultural and spiritual needs of each person.
· Help each person grow in personal care skills and assist with personal care when needed.
· Assist each person to use their language and communication abilities.
· Help people develop interpersonal skills, engage with family and friends, and participate in their community.
· Arrange for celebrations on birthdays and days of special importance to each person.
· Be attentive to the level of stress in the life of each person and assist in providing help to moderate the stress.
· Attend to daily health needs, reporting changes in status to the supervisor.
· Accompany people to medical or other specialist appointments and assist with dispensing of medications.
· Support each person in their faith practice and system of beliefs.
· Document the care of the people being supported.
· Complete vehicle, maintenance and safety documentation.
· In a home, provide household upkeep, cleaning duties, meal preparation and other household responsibilities.
· A heart to serve people with diverse abilities and their families.
· A philosophy of care in line with Bethesda’s Christian foundations and guiding principles.
· Availability to work a variety of shifts as needed. Hours of work may vary.
· Possession of Canadian, landed immigrant or legal working status.
· Standard requirements for support workers employed in BC (criminal record check, medical clearance, BC Class 4 driver’s licence [can be hired with BC Class 5 licence and must obtain BC Class 4], ICBC driving record, immunization history).
· Full COVID-19 immunization.
· Confidentiality with respect to people receiving our services and the operations.
· Ability to perform transfers and repositioning.
· Hiring bonus: $100 at time of hire, another $200 after 1 year of continuous employment and completion of all job requirements.
· Competitive salary: $25.05 - $28.75/hr.
· Training and support relevant to your position.
· Exclusive employee discounts on a range of products and services through Bethesda’s Perkopolis account.
· Benefits, including 3 weeks vacation, are provided to permanent positions with guaranteed hours of 20 or more/week.
At Bethesda, we’re about creating community among the people we serve, our staff and our surrounding communities. We are all interdependent as we experience life together, and all valuable for the abilities we share. We know we learn from and need each other to thrive.
Bethesda’s ministry is a Christian faith-based service. For more information about Bethesda, visit us at bethesdabc.com or on social media.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants may apply online at bethesdabc.com/ careers or email or mail a resume, cover letter and references to the Chief Human Resources Officer.
2775 Emerson Street, Abbotsford BC V2T 4H8
Applicants should reference posting #818.
Only selected applicants will be contacted.
Job Types: Part-time, Casual
Salary: $25.05-$28.75 per hour
- Company events
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision care
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Night shift
- Weekends as needed
- Are you legally able to work in Canada?
- supportive care: 1 year (preferred)
- Class 5 Licence (preferred)
Work Location: In person