What is the opportunity?
The Intermediate Restoration Structural Engineer will work on small and medium projects and assist in maintaining a high level of service for the Restoration practice at BTC Group. This will entail working closely with the other service groups at BTC Group to ensure consistent, consolidated and leading- edge service across the firm. This position will also offer the opportunity for both office and field experience working collaboratively with the project team from initial evaluation through design to construction completion. We would like to supplement our existing team with a self-motivated individual, with leadership skills and a desire to work in a collaborative team environment.
What will you do?
The successful candidate will be assigned a variety of investigation and repair projects on existing buildings exhibiting problems with masonry or other wall cladding, parking structures, impact damage, below grade waterproofing, balconies, settlement issues or other as required. To address these problems, you will
- Attend client meetings from initial conception throughout the entire project
- Develop internal project budgets and generation of fee proposals
- Review existing structures to determine as-built construction details, and identify problem causation
- Attend construction progress meetings to provide consultation and updates to the project team
- Write reports based on observations, assessments, and key findings
- Develop computer aided analysis of structures using various analytical tools such as SAP
- Prepare detailed structural designs including specifications, drawings, and sketches
- Coordinate and review of submittals and shop drawings during construction phase
- Perform periodic field reviews during construction
- Produce documentation for contract administration such as bid review letters, proposed change notices, change orders, invoice review letters as well as coordinate the contract between the Owner and Contractor
- Coordinate and review project documentation generated by other team members
- Monitor internal project costs and review monthly invoicing ensuring budgets are maintained
- Mentor and train junior staff in technical aspects of structural design and practical aspects of project delivery
- Other duties as assigned
What do you need to succeed?
- A degree in civil engineering with a focus on structural engineering preferred, coupled with 5+ years of industry-related experience in restoration
- PEng. designation required
- Strong communication skills both verbal and written with the ability to work with people at all levels including project stakeholders and clients.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities and deliverables on an ongoing basis
- Working knowledge of construction materials and products used in building construction, with a focus on concrete, steel, wood, and masonry
- Working knowledge and ability to use various programs such as SAP, SAFE, and Woodworks considered an asset
- Must have a valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle and maintain throughout employment.
About BTC Group
BTC Group is a consulting engineering practice with a vision of bringing together engineering and intuition to enhance building performance. Founded in 2011 and backed by decades of experience, we’re taking design performance to new heights through our collaboration with clients in North America and internationally including architects, developers, building owners and managers and construction professionals.
Our practice encompasses structural, building envelope, restoration, and special projects consulting. We earn our reputation by applying our ingenuity and use of leading-edge technology, including BIM, in a wide variety of sectors, including: commercial, sports and recreation, institutional, cultural, residential, retail, healthcare, transportation and hospitality.
Our core purpose is to realize our potential for the fulfillment of our people, our clients and our communities. We strive to build a better world by being creative, collaborative, and advanced. We are BTC Group.
BTC Group is committed to fostering an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment where all employees and clients feel valued, respected, and supported.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Vision care
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Calgary, AB: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- AEC / DEP or Skilled Trade Certificate (preferred)
- structural engineering: 5 years (required)
- Restoration: 3 years (preferred)
- P Eng. designation (preferred)
Work Location: In person