Nurse Practitioner - Occupational Health Nurse / Medical Coordinator
Job Type: Full-Time Contractor (work from home/flexible hours)
The British Columbia Coast Pilots Ltd. works with the marine industry to deliver safe and efficient pilotage by providing local knowledge and expertise to foreign ships in order to protect environmental, economic and public interests. We provide expertise in the safe movement of shipping through local knowledge by ensuring excellence in pilotage that enhances trade and protects Canadian environmental, public, and economic interests.
BCCP is a private company with 135 members with families and retired members that receive Health Benefits through a PHSP and other tailored programs. We are looking for a third-party individual consultant/service provider to assume the role of our current workplace health coordinator of the past 25 years.
This role is responsible for:
- Proactive, preventative, stay at work support and education
- Promoting Health and wellness
- Assisting members navigating healthcare system
- Management of employee’s illness/ injury-related assessment, treatment, work restrictions/ accommodations and assistance with employee’s return to work plan. Support STD & LTD process.
- In collaboration with leadership, develop, implement, monitor, and communicate transitional return to work plans and accommodations in consultation with employees, healthcare providers, managers, and Human Resources.
- Manages and coordinates care; evaluates health outcomes; educates, counsels and advocate for individuals to meet health goals.
- Liaise with plan members in accordance with the Private Health Service Plan and Family Support Plan and related benefits.
- Referrals to counseling, medical physicians, specialist referral and diagnostic clinics, independent medical examiners, and Ministry of Transportation medical practitioners.
- Utilization of community resources where applicable for example: incorporating programs for substance abuse, physical rehabilitation, or sexual abuse.
- Act as liaison and coordinator between the BCCP members, referring agencies and professional resources. Assessments to be done by those professionals certified in their respective areas of expertise.
- Assist members in navigating Marine medical requirements.
- Administrate third-party invoices, maintain confidential records.
- Follow up and checking with member.
- Assist members through the adjudication process.
- Compiling and analyzing information for further assessment on claims (sick, STD, LTD), including arranging referrals, independent medicals etc.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Registered nurse in good standing with the College of Nurses of British Columbia.
- Certified in Occupational Health Nursing, COHN(C) ® is preferred.
- Minimum of three (3) years of applicable experience required.
- Knowledge of Canada Labour Code, occupational health and safety laws, regulations, industry standards, administrative practices and protocols expected.
- Ability to function collaboratively within a multi-disciplinary team and/or independently.
- Patient oriented, with the ability to effectively work with diversity and appreciation that people with different opinions, backgrounds and characteristics bring richness to the challenge or situation at hand.
- Ideally experience and contacts in the medical profession in Vancouver, Victoria, and Nanaimo area
- Ability to manage less than optimal patient experience issue.
- Excellent decision-making and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Be good with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and familiarity with EMR software.
- Strong organizational & electronic filling skills.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $95.00 per hour
- Flexible schedule
- Work from home
- Nursing: 3 years (required)
- Canadian Registered Nurse (required)
- Good standing with the College of Nurses of BC (required)
Work Location: Remote