The South Okanagan Women in Need Society (SOWINS), respectfully acknowledges that they work on the traditional unceded territories of the Sylix Okanagan peoples.
Located in the beautiful Okanagan Valley, SOWINS is a non-profit society providing safe refuge and community-based resources for women and children in the South Okanagan. SOWINS operates a transitional and second stage housing facilities, as well as counselling and outreach services. At SOWINS we work from an intersectional feminist philosophy and support trauma-informed practice and harm reduction models.
We are currently recruiting for a casual Mobile Outreach Worker to join our team. As part of the Outreach Team, the Mobile Outreach Worker offers early intervention, support and distribution of harm reduction services in various communities throughout the South Okanagan, through confidential and empathetic first response, street level engagement and outreach services. The Mobile Outreach Worker works directly with people who experience a range of marginalizing circumstances including, but not limited to: homelessness or unstable/unsafe housing, intergenerational trauma, histories of ongoing experiences of violence, substance use/addiction, mental health issues, involvement in survival sex trade, systemic abuse, lack of safety, social isolation, discrimination and stigma. The Mobile Outreach Worker provides support based on individuals needs and goals as well as referrals and transitions to other services.
UNION: This position requires union membership, under Health Sciences Association (HSA).
WAGE: $26.74 - $30.69/hour depending on length of service (HSA Grid 11).
VACATION: Casual employees earn 10.2% of their straight time pay in lieu of scheduled vacations and paid holidays.
START DATE: ASAP
- Diploma in a related human / social service field
- One-year recent related experience, including street outreach work
- Valid First Aid & CPR Level C with Naloxone and overdose management training.
- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention Training (NVCI).
- Satisfactory vulnerable sector criminal record check.
- Valid Class 5 driver’s license and acceptable current drivers abstract
- Must be comfortable with active drug use and providing services to individuals actively participating in various modes of drug use.
Successful applicants will demonstrate an ability to provide safe, confidential and compassionate harm reduction and support services to a diverse community. Knowledge of existing South Okanagan social and healthcare organizations and programs is an asset.
This posting is covered by the Provincial Health Officer’s mandatory COVID-19 vaccination orders and selected applicant(s) must comply.
Job Type: Casual
Salary: $26.74-$30.69 per hour
- Employee assistance program
- On-site parking
Flexible Language Requirement:
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends as needed
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Penticton, BC V2A 1L4: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
Work Location: In person