VP, Design, Preconstruction and Estimating
Construction & Operations
Responsible for the management of the company’s multi-site, national preconstruction program, this role is accountable for design, cost, constructability, permitting and project coordination. In this capacity, the Manager will also ensure effective communication which impact customers, sales initiatives or existing residents and property management.
- Manage the design process while being cognizant of cost, constructability, construction process and procedures to ensure consistent, reliable construction
- Implement and support the Construction Team with emphasis to the Preconstruction and Estimating Team to achieve the goals of the organization;
- Provides oversight on cost control to ensure that projects are completed and meet expected schedule, quality and budget expectations
- Participate and lead in area of project development and construction process.
- Ensure that contractors and municipal authorities have all relevant and current documents
- Provides oversight for scheduling; managing and resolving conflicts with resources (trades, suppliers) connected to a master schedule, including a working knowledge with appropriate scheduling tools.
- Ensure that all budgets for project plan are well researched based on current and historical information and reflect current trends in the market;
- Keep abreast of trends within the market relative to construction materials and construction processes;
- Solve problems requiring development of new approaches or new uses for existing approaches;
- Exercise mature professional judgment in identifying the implications of changes;
- Develop and maintain the relationships within the vendors and suppliers, on which we depend for the successful execution of the construction programs;
- Responsible for identifying improvements to the processes within the Preconstruction and Estimating Group for purposes of ensuring efficiency and effectiveness throughout the Company;
- Support the VP, Design, Preconstruction and Estimating to meet the corporate objectives as established by the Executive Management team.
- University degree in Engineering, Architecture, Construction Management, or related field;
- Professional certification/designation would be considered an asset.
- 8+ years of experience in a construction group within a similar organization;
- Knowledge of Ontario Building Code
- Working comprehension of contracts, plans, specifications, scopes, building science, scheduling, logistics and construction methodology
- Extensive practice in the area of cost, constructability, construction methods and other components of real estate development;
- Excellent oral and written communications skills with the ability to effectively communicate with our side organizations and select groups within the organization:
- Skills in building relationships through your broad network of contacts, including trade partners and suppliers
- Thorough knowledge of construction drawings and specifications.
The Manager, Preconstruction must be client focused, advocate and communicate a positive image of the company, both internally and externally. The Manager, Preconstruction shall take accountability for decisions made and conduct oneself in a respectful and ethical manner in representing the company’s interests. The Manager, Preconstruction shall demonstrate entrepreneurialism and behave like an “owner” in carrying out daily tasks and responsibilities; demonstrating creativity and resourcefulness in achieving desired results. The Manager, Preconstruction is expected to be a team player and work effectively with colleagues and associates in terms of input, sharing of ideas and working to achieve common goal.
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive and accessible recruitment and selection process. If you are contacted about an employment opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation.